Why I'm not boycotting Ender's Game

In defense of practicality–there are and should be considerations when attempting an organized boycott beyond simply “doing the right thing”. Boycotts can, and do, backfire, causing more harm than good. Very mainstream products that aren’t limited in their appeal to a particular cultural or economic demographic are often a long shot to be damaged, while carrying the risk of a greater-than-equal and opposite re-action occuring.

If this movie is actually any good–ie, people WANT to see it-- all it would take is a Rush Limbaugh or the like to decry the boycott as the left trying to stifle free speech and promote the gay agenda to send the wingnuts to it in droves. The church buses will probably stop at chick-fil-a on their way to the theater.

Brainspore, I have to disagree. Nothing tricky here. The two are unrelated. You may choose to support a good cause by spending money on a movie that a person supporting that cause made. But usually causes are supported directly by donation. I think the level of abstraction involved in your quandary sets it apart from being any kind of reality. “The barber cuts the hair of everyone in town who doesn’t cut their own. Does the barber cut his own hair?”

And yes. I have purchased good that were not as “perfect” a versus some other product, because they were union made, in an attempt to help union workers. Wal-Mart might sell something cheaper, but I will never spend money there.

1 Like

Seldom do we “boycott” family or friends over similar issues; too personally inconvenient. We tend to forgive and try to reform them. Boycotting public figures is much easier and somewhat hypocritical.
With distance, tolerance approaches zero.

How about boycotting Ender’s Game just because it’s great as a novella and doesn’t need to be part of the never-ending parade of adaptations, remakes and sequels that Hollywood spews forth?

2 Likes

Cory, I sincerely wonder, based on “I virulently disagree with Card on important issues where I think he’s not only wrong, but also doing active harm to some of the most vulnerable people in our society.”, when you would feel participating in and advocating for boycott would be justified.

2 Likes

I’m in agreement here. The Ender’s Game novel highlighted the preemptive attack, but the moral was that the “guvm’nt” used an unknowing boy to execute it. Ender spends the subsequent novels helping to re-introduce the alien life he had been tricked into destroying. It’s also a message that could applied against the use of the drone attacks of our day.

Despite Mr. Card’s intolerant views concerning homosexuality and queers, generally, his novel was unmistakably a great contribution to SF.

1 Like

LOL thanks :slight_smile: , while I wish I was NO kind of idiot, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t.

I can’t like Picasso’s work because he put cigarettes out on one of his wives. I don’t want to visit the Saachi gallery in London any longer because he strangled his wife and is now divorcing her for not defending him to the press. I don’t really enjoy Anne Rice after she went apeshit at some reviewer on Amazon.com.

I can’t divorce people’s shitty personal actions with their great art. I loved Ender’s game when I read it, and read all of the subsequent Ender books, but I have no interest in giving him any more money. His works and I are done.

I think over on Joe.My.God. he says it better than I can: Orson Scott Card Pleads for Tolerance.

4 Likes

I find this a little hard to believe. Can you cite some real world examples? Is Chik-fil-a experiencing a boom? Is Rush experiencing a boom in followers? I highly doubt that MORE people would rush out and see a movie than the ones who are boycotting it for the same reason in this case. At least in country we currently live in, given the recent polls on gay rights and gay marriage.

I agree that there is a valid distinction between boycotting a work, and encouraging someone to blacklist an individual.

1vw2go ( think i got that right ):

Sure, and I get that argument. I accept it as a valid argument, although I don’t agree with it. There’s this tricky idea of incidental damage ( I think that’s the legal term for it ). Essentially you are arguing that by enjoying ender’s game I am basically providing Card with money for that work. He then uses that money ( some of it ) to harass Gay folks. So I am in effect harassing gay folks by proxy ( at worst ) or simply ignoring that he’s doing that ( at least ). Maybe we call it sin of omission on the lesser side.

Fair call. I don’t think I am assisting him by proxy. Even if I know he’s doing that, what he does with his money is his own business and his own moral dillema. I liked ender’s game, and as a product or artwork it’s accepted as a masterpiece. So, he contributed positively in life and was rewarded for that. He could have spent that money on hookers and blow, or blood diamonds and I’d still not be responsible for his actions. He made a choice. And the consequences are his, and that of the people he chose to lambast. I didn’t shout support for his position. I didn’t stand next to him and nod. I said the guy wrote a solid book. He did.

But, I do know he’s a bit of a bigot. And I know he’ll go on being a bigot. In addition to monetary gains, he’s gained public noteriety and acceptance as a major author. That gives him a big public platform for his hate mongering. And it sucks that he shits all over his literary successes with hate speech and radical opinion pieces. But, I still say that’s his moral dillema. Not mine.

There’s a fundamental reason I do this. And it’s not the ‘not my problem’ approach. At the end of the day, our country is about a person’s right to choose to be whomever they are. If he wants to invest his time in hurting people, we stop him once he’s broken the law. Not before. Because, in this country, people have inalienable rights.

By the same token, if you hate Card because he’s admittedly something of a douchebag and refuse to pay for or read his works… then by all means. Do so. It’s absolutely your right.

But, it’s my right to say Orson Scott Card wrote a masterpiece of young adult science fiction that will likely remain one of the better literary pieces of our generation. And I am willing to give credit where credit is due, even if that person has failed in every other aspect of their life. And I am going to enjoy this beautiful work that came from an unlikely source. Because hell, it is beautiful art. If Card gets money because of that, it’s money he’s earned. And if he wants to go ahead and use that money to shit all over people, it’s his right to choose to do that, and he will have to live with the consequences of that, including folks much like yourself being turned off from his work. The tragedy of free will, and of our basic rights is that Card can and does try to hurt people. And to an extent he gets away with things he should not because of his fame, and because of a general lack of support for gay rights in some arenas. That’s a shit state of affairs. But it has nothing to do with Ender’s game. That has to do with societal problems. It also has to do with the cost of having freedom of expression. I have the right to say that I think what someone else does is wrong. I can say that I think that the way Orson Scott Card spends his money is immoral and deplorable. As he has the right to say he thinks the way some folks use their genitals is immoral and deplorable. We pay a price for freedom. Some pay more than others. And that sucks. But burning authors or their books be it economically or literally is not a solution to that issue.

2 Likes

[quote=“1vw2go, post:44, topic:3138”]
I have purchased good that were not as “perfect” a versus some other product, because they were union made, in an attempt to help union workers. Wal-Mart might sell something cheaper, but I will never spend money there.
[/quote]Ah, but did you ever spend money to see a bad movie (or a movie you expected to be bad) just because it was made by someone you admired for purely non-movie related reasons?

Agreed–why does every freaking book need to be a movie? All the scenes and characters that took place in my mind condensed, contorted, congealed into 2 hours of the director’s vision that forevermore usurps mine?

How many people never read the book because they’ve already seen the movie? Or when they do read it, have a watered down experience with the essential plot already known?

And…how many people that do read the book see the movie version in their mind, instead of what would have been their unique version? Do kids that read Harry Potter today envision anyone but Daniel Radcliffe? Do people that read Lord of the Rings just see Peter Jackson’s Middle Earth?

I wish they’d make movies that are, from the ground up, movies. Created for that medium with all it’s limitations and strengths–instead of bastardizing and supplanting great novels.

Books are books–unless they are written with movies in mind, that’s what they should remain. /end rant

2 Likes

Hmm… not that I know of, but quite possibly. And I was probably disappointed if I did, and thought, well at least it went to someone I support. But my point was, one does not require the other. Should we see bad movies made by good people is an entirely different question than should we shun good movies made by bad people.

1 Like

I too enjoyed the book. Perhaps I wouldn’t have read it had I known about Card’s offensive views, which I later started to suspect after trying to read (and giving up on) his boring Mormons-in-Space series.

I will probably see the movie, but I won’t pay for it.

[quote=“gtmac, post:46, topic:3138, full:true”]
How about boycotting Ender’s Game just because it’s great as a novella and doesn’t need to be part of the never-ending parade of adaptations, remakes and sequels that Hollywood spews forth?
[/quote]It’s not really a “boycott” if you didn’t want it in the first place. I’m not “boycotting” the Twilight series, I just don’t want to spend money to watch a bunch of whiny teenage vampires.

1 Like

[quote=“1vw2go, post:56, topic:3138”]
Should we see bad movies made by good people is an entirely different question than should we shun good movies made by bad people.
[/quote]Fair enough, but keep in mind that big-budget movies aren’t exactly solo enterprises either. Harrison Ford seems like a pretty OK guy. So does director Gavin Hood.

How many do you waste on faux outrage in the form of change.org petitions?

I believe you are contradicting yourself here. [quote=“openfly, post:53, topic:3138”]
But, I still say that’s his moral dillema. Not mine.
[/quote]
It may not be your moral dilemma, but it is certainly a moral dilemma for those who he actively spends that money on to oppress.

Yes everyone “has” inalienable rights, except when money and public position is used to create and enforce laws that take away SOME people’s rights. He is not just a private citizen with an opinion, he is a famous person using money gained from that fame to push his bigoted agenda. This boycott is not about making it unlawful for him to say what he wants, it’s about people who feel it IS their moral dilemma not choosing the path of least resistance.

I get it, you really, really, really love his sic-fi writing. But don’t couch the fact that you really want to see the movie in some sort of First Amendment exercise.

Except when Ender’s Game gives him money to keep doing that. You are his ultimate fan, we get that. But stop with the justifications, please. Go see the movie. Exercise your rights. No one here is saying you can’t.

4 Likes

Worth noting that Mr. Card has points on the movie (atypical for a writer), so a portion of the boxoffice will go DIRECTLY into his pocket. The only way I’d pay to see it, is if he pledges his entire profits to go to an anti-discrimination non-profit.

A shame, as I really love the book (though I like the Tales of Alvin the Maker series better)