Come see me at UCLA tonight and then with John Scalzi on Sunday at the LA Times Festival of Books!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/12/ucla-7-930-pm.html

1 Like

I found Scalzi remarkably close minded for a fiction author, dismissive of people who don’t believe in some version of a fairy god father, who then went directly to the classic lame arguments that atheists were terrible murderers on the basis of Stalin. I didn’t stick around to see if he’d trot out the Pascal’s Wager fallacy next. Lost all respect seeing him attempting to argue his points at the level of an indoctrinated 12 year old.

Yes, well, if you read his fiction, while (in my opinion) interesting enough, it’s also quite glaringly obvious he’s even more rabidly libertarian than Heinlein was =x. So your anecdote, while disappointing, is hardly surprising.

Wow, am disappoint. I’ve read his blog off and on for ages and never got that feeling. I stopped by there today and noticed Neal Stephenson has a new book coming out that sounds quite good. Also an Elizabeth Bear novel a la Iain M. Banks? More please!

He seems OK to me but have never heard him speak etc.

Yeah, that doesn’t seem like Scalzi at all, based on his twitter, his books, and his blog. Are you sure you aren’t confusing him for someone else?

This was his twitter.

If so, then I’m guessing you misunderstood something.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.