Yelling at rice for fun and profit

Rack 'em!

Thereā€™s the booby prize of the century. Anyway, Daniel Dennettā€™s already won it.

I had to grind through Chalmerā€™s book for a grade: so far as I could tell its only positive contribution to cognitive science was demonstrating that traditional metaphysical approaches to consciousness reduce to absurdity.

But in short, what Iā€™m saying is that if consciousness does not affect reality, then there would be no way for us to be aware of it. Our awareness of it is at the very least an effect on reality, because otherwise, for instance, these comments could not happen.

What I will say this about Penrose: he lays bare how nonsensical and pointless ā€œfree willā€ would be, if it could be anything.

In a very micro way, all evidence suggest that our brains really are completely deterministic: that we make decisions long before we become ā€œconsciousā€ of them. But it seems pretty clear to me that that ā€œconsciousnessā€ is a critical part of the feedback loop that programs that deterministic mechanisms of the brains.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.