You autocomplete me

[Permalink]

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MJFrdfGe0 ?

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m gonna be that guyā€¦

Thatā€™s not really ā€˜letterpressā€™, itā€™s debossed. About 25 metres from where I sit, there are a half dozen Heidelber windmill presses that my employer runs. The press operators will point out that the touch of the letterpress should be a kiss, just enough pressure to achieve excellent ink coverage, but no impression marks.

Oh heck, weā€™ll deboss the crap out of stock if thatā€™s what you want, but the dies arenā€™t cheap, and the waste is astronomical. Personally, I prefer full colour tight registration from an offset press. Something magical about placing 7 or 8 colours and watching the art pop out at you.

Iā€™m ā€œthat guyā€ as well. I was a Heidelberg Windmill pressman for three years after high school. Fortunately, I got fired when they did a special job on a thicker stock, and I didnā€™t check the impression setting. The job ended up looking debossed, and I was debossed. (sorry)

Iā€™m glad I got fired though. Summers in a thermography shop were hellish, standing next to a 300 degree open oven 12 hours a day

Whatā€™s interesting about this is that itā€™s a second-order skeumorphism: The debossing provides real shading that mimics the shading effect common in modern UIs, which mimics the shading of real objects.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.