"100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books to Read in a Lifetime"

I was very impressed by Eifelheim. (Probably not a must-read but the thread about UFO sightings from ancient history are the reason I combed through my not enough shelfs should do something about it book mountains)

A Deepness in the Sky is my favorite book, period. Vernor Vinge is underrated.

1 Like

What’s the difference between the two again other than framing?

1 Like

“A Deepness in the Sky” is there. Is it really better than “A Fire upon the Deep”? Personally I would prefer to see “The Peace War” or “Marooned in Realtime” on there.

2 Likes

You do get that this is a promotional gimmick by Amazon and not any sort of critical analysis? From their perspective, it’s just one market. The only question thy asked themselves is, will this list be seen by people who will buy these books? Answer: yes.

2 Likes

But that doesn’t stop us from happily kvetching about it here. Which is more fun than supporting ClearCase right now.

No Tiptree either. Or Karen Joy Fowler. Or Gwyneth Jones, but that’s hardly surprising.

Of course, I’d put in The Devil is Dead by R.A. Lafferty and Moderan by David Bunch, just to screw with some heads.

1 Like

Cover art.

One features big ships, the other big swords?

2 Likes

You’re dead right about Aldiss, well said.

Re. influencing Douglas Adams - you should peruse some of Robert Sheckley’s books, especially Options, Mindswap, and Dimension of Miracles (just today I made my avatar into an image from a mid-80s cover of the latter, after posting his name earlier in this thread).

1 Like

Sorry. I meant to just post a link to the google doc, but the bbs embedded it.

2 Likes

I believe if you put a space before your link, it won’t get embedded and will stay a link.

With a space:

Tumblr: Image

Without a space:

3 Likes

Not sure that worked.
But if you link some text that should work.
And since I am too lazy to figure out to make it show the code, just use the chain icon in the posting menu.

1 Like

Holy crap, it changed! Lemme see here…

Ok I changed it back. Seems that when the BBS took a copy of the hotlinked image, it replaced both URLs with the new server ref for that img.

No idea if it’ll come back and “correct” it again.

HTML Entitties, how do they fucking work?

2 Likes

Well more the remembering the html code, the bbs code, or which bbs code depending on the bbs hosting, or you know look nice pictures on the menu bar cause I got enough weirdo fiddly tech related things to deal with already.

Yes, both excellent choices. I’d probably give the edge to Flow My Tears, but to be honest I can’t really remember much about The Man in the High Castle.

That’s the problem with these things: it’s been so long since I’ve read many of these books that a lot of the time I can remember really liking a book, but not exactly why. For example, I wasn’t super impressed with The Galactic Pot Healer as I was reading it, but the ending totally turned it around for me in just the last few pages. I don’t remember the actual ending, however, just that I liked it.

2 Likes

I think of Fantasy as essentially escapist; adventure stories with a hero and a quest, where the main pleasure in reading comes from a well told story.

Much of Science Fiction is like that as well, to be fair. Think Space Opera, where the name says it all: high drama in outer space (and let’s not worry too much about plausibility). And I’m not knocking that, as I do enjoy a good space opera.

There’s the obvious future vs. past setting, but as you’ve pointed out, that’s often not much of a difference.

But the best science fiction usually isn’t really about the future, so much as it is about the present and a way of exploring the ideas and implications of the current zeitgeist. All the post-apocalyptic SF of the 80s reflecting the cold war, for example. What the current zombie obsession says about us as a culture today is left as an exercise for the reader. :wink:

To be clear, a lot of genre fiction is not great literature, but then a lot of literature is not great literature, either.

5 Likes

+1 for the unobtrusive Theodore Sturgeon reference.

4 Likes

To everyone who mentioned Roger Zelazny, Paul Linebarger (aka Cordwainer Smith), A.E. Van Vogt, Gene Wolfe, and Ted Sturgeon: well done. Zelazny’s Jack of Shadows is my personal fave, though.

Now, what about Kuttner, or Abbott’s Flatland?

1 Like

Quite a solid list. The main thing its sad not to see is Roger Zelazny and the Amber Chronicals.