100 ways to "slightly improve your life without really trying"

I don’t think that it’s really necessary to guess: I’m not sufficiently up on the details of UK tax law to say exactly what the number is(off the cuff I’d guess that they have in mind either the change at 37,500 or the reductions in standard personal allowance once you get north of 100,000; but I’m not sure); but “it’s likely a disproportionate amount of your fifth day’s work is taxed anyway” implies a fairly specific level of income: the one where you earn enough that tax brackets are actually relevant to you; though little enough that getting paid for one less day a week would potentially drop you one tax bracket.

Not plutocrat level money; but absolutely not advice for poors.

4 Likes

17 Don’t be weird about how to stack the dishwasher.

I’m sorry (not sorry) about my “weirdness” (which is actually the most rational way to stack a dishwasher).

13 Likes

59 Always have dessert.

Best piece of advice in this article

3 Likes

7 Likes

" 54 Always bring something – wine, flowers – to a dinner/birthday party, even if they say not to."

Ugh. No. If someone says don’t bring something, respect that! I hate when anyone but my partner buys me flowers. I have a plant nibbling cat and have to throw at least half away so we don’t have an emergency vet visit.

" 78 Always book an extra day off after a holiday"
Forgot to do that this time. So in addition to paranoia about having caught COVID-19 while on a neccessary trip, I get to be at work too.

6 Likes

85 Don’t get a pet/do get a pet.

What in the hell is this supposed to mean? A pet isn’t some toy you can just take on and dump off whenever.

5 Likes

3 Likes

The sad thing is that there is actually sound financial advice in there, it’s just not really something that fits the topic of the list, as it does require actual effort. But the good advice is: remember that, whenever one has a choice, spending a dollar less is better than making a dollar more.

5 Likes

Or Minneapolis, unless #33 is “Call the fire department just to make friends while they thaw your feet off the sidewalk.”

1 Like

21 Add the milk at least one minute after the tea has brewed.

Nah. Milk in first then brew for 5 minutes, no more and no less. It’s not the Orwell method, you can’t exactly regulate how much milk at first but that comes with practice and a strong constitution so be brave.

35 Eat salted butter (life’s too short for unsalted)

The horror. Salted butter is the work of the devil. I thought the Brits were starting to understand good food.

2 Likes

Choice Choose GIF by G2 Esports

4 Likes

82 Cook something you’ve never attempted before.
_
Yeah, that’s always fun. So is modding recipes.
Bonus if it’s edible.

4 Likes

Set aside 10 minutes a day to do something you really enjoy – be it reading a book or playing Halo.

Ten minutes of joy per day sounds pretty fucking bleak, to be honest…

11 Likes

Rather than call me, consider a voice mail; only rather than voice mail, consider sending a text; only instead of sending a text, consider sending a DM on whatever social we share; only instead of DMs, consider just emailing me.

On second thoughts, just email me. Seriously. Trying to make me comprehend you through my earholes, or trying to figure out how to use one of the three compulsory corporate “social” platforms (sure you messaged me, but was it on Slack, Teams, or Yammer?), and I don’t care what you’re communicating: I already hate you.

If your message is important and you want me to understand it and remember it, then let me read it.

4 Likes

… then I usually send round a couple of myrmidons.

So if a list of advice contains advice that doesn’t pertain to your particular demographic, it’s insulting? I’ve worked not-that-well paid hourly jobs on a 4 day schedule several times, so I’m not seeing how suggesting this is an insult. Would a list of advice for broke people be insulting to people who are financially ok?

Here’s one that works:
Maintain a stash of sympathy cards for when family/friends lose their pet.
(so you can send one out right away. such events are not predictable like birthdays)

Moreover, having/not having a pet does more than “slightly” improve one’s life.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.