"106" long-lost Doctor Who episodes found in Ethiopia

There were good bits and bad bits, but I loved Hartnell and Troughton. (Pertwee, not so much, but most of that was due to the poor decision early on to strand him on Earth in one time for the early part of his run).

Troughton, in particular, had my favorite pair of Doctor’s companions. 18th Century Scottish Highlander Jamie Mccrimmon, and Zoe Herriot, astrophysicist and librarian who’s home is a 21st century space station.

5 Likes

Freely granted. And there’s an imprinting effect; we tend to judge all the other actors playing The Doctor by how well they fit the personality we first encountered him as.

I must admit that I haven’t seen enough of the pre-Baker episodes to have a valid opinion. Then again, I haven’t watched as much of Baker as I’d like, or of the later episodes. I’ve caught bits and pieces of the recent seasons and they seemed to be a good job of compromising between the deliberate camp that the Baker period often fell into and modern expectations.

In my Copious Spare Time ™…

(In that period, the BBC generally featured complex, 3-dimensional characters acting in front of 2-dimensional sets. Here in America, we did it the other way around.)

2 Likes

Whovians love to argue.

No we don’t.

11 Likes

does this mean we won’t have to watch those oddly cell shaded, 3d, animated episodes anymore?

It’d be interesting to compare any found episodes with the stand-in animations to see how well they estimated what the scene should look like.

An argument isn’t just contradiction!

4 Likes

Yes it is!

3 Likes

It is official! They were all stored in the Ark of the Covenant, which is also supposed to be in Ethiopia!

3 Likes

[quote=“technogeekagain, post:22, topic:11476”]And there’s an imprinting effect; we tend to judge all the other actors playing The Doctor by how well they fit the personality we first encountered him as.[/quote]I must be an oddity, then - the first Doctor I saw was Tom Baker, and he eventually turned out to be one of my least favorite Doctors. Recently, I recently went back and watched the entire series, missing episodes and all (audio + stills on those), and found that of the original eight Doctors, Pertwee was my favorite. He comes across as one of the best Doctors to me (the episodes he’s in, not so much - but then, most of Hartnell and Troughton’s episodes stunk, too).

2 Likes

. . .and given the retrospective nature of jurisprudence, when are we going to charge the SOBs who ordered that destruction with Crimes against Humanity. . . . .and Timelords ??? (grin)

Having read through all the comments and going the full spectrum of emotion I find myself back at the beginning, remembering seeing Jon Pertwee do a dramatic recreation of how several “lost” episodes were found in a hut in Nigeria.

Even though I was young and impressionable I found the story a bit fishy. A “hut”? Really? I should have known better than to fall for this story.

Seeing as Ethiopia ever received 77 episodes of the show, the number quoted is unlikely. However, it is looking more and more likely that this rumor will either be put to rest, or we will have a wonderful announcement of a return of at least a handful of episodes.

I presume they were found sitting underneath the Arc of the Covenant.

Not enough misspellings in your plea - That clearly shows it’s bogus :stuck_out_tongue:

As third world dialects go, I’m fond of the “straight out of Wodehouse” style.

For what it’s worth, I momentarily misread the headline as

106"-long lost Doctor Who episodes

This is great news, but wow - 36 posts and nobody’s mentioned this?

The Thick Of It actor Peter Capaldi, 55, takes over from Matt Smith as the 12th Time Lord at Christmas.

I hope he brings a dash of Malcolm Tucker to the role ; )

1 Like

Seems like the BBC are set to confirm.

2 Likes

Maybe Jamie will show up to go on the kind of rage-seizure tirade that the Doctor can’t.

Looks like Auntie Beeb has admitted that something’s up. Stay tuned, true believers!