15 technology trends for 2016

I actually own a 3d TV. The internal 3d-izing engine is somewhat suboptimal, not suitable for most uses, sometimes nice when I want to chill out and not do anything but watch a video. 3d videos played from a raspberry pi work pretty well.

Todo: attempt to stream a 3d video from a raspi from a pair of cameras, from a remote controlled car or from a stereomicroscope. With a pair of MJPEG-capable cams, offloading the compression to them, even a humble raspi could perhaps handle it.

What accessory? I have pretty good experiences with the passive circular polarizers.

I don’t like much talking voice, but an occasional video call can be nice. Not many people to see left, though, with all the marriages and children and work eating them alive. But not something I don’t use because I don’t want, the bottleneck is elsewhere.

Depends on what user interfaces will be available and for what purposes. I can see it used a lot for telepresence, for CAD-style applications (if the resolution is high enough), for visualisations and modeling… even for an exercycle so you could have a flying bike.

1 Like

Grande arte, grande ideas. Refrescante dosis de optimismo; ÂĄGracias!
:
Great art, great ideas. Refreshing doses of optimism; thank you!

Cool and good point however this is also something that doesn’t work for me very well when I’ve looked at em in stores or other peoples homes.

Nonetheless, as I understand it VR does imply goggles, unless of course we are talking holodeck type environments. I do recall in the 80s that Atari was supposedly working on holographic game consoles…

My point exactly in a way, some use it for various reasons some don’t for various reasons.

Those are the very examples Lanier brought up. What you call “serious” above.

You may or may not have seen/remember this. The idea didn’t die out.

1 Like

I saw tech that didn’t work for me and tech that worked well for me.

Yup, goggles it will be. The modern tech seems to be based on cellphone displays, and there is that trend to have “ridiculous resolutions” aka 4k, which I welcome as it means 4k/2 VR. Which becomes useful, as then you could potentially even read the labels and values on the aircraft instruments in the sims.

Like with everything, perhaps except air. And even air, if we include microorganisms into the discourse.

And more game-like when we move from “big” CAD into virtual sculpting and playing and physics games and just fooling around using “serious” tools. All sorts of cross-realm and niche applications and unexpected uses that become possible only when the price goes to commodity level.

Didn’t see these, thought about rigging a projector to a Google Earth or Street View to achieve a similar effect, never got enough round tuits for that.

1 Like

Here and below, we end up agreeing. Some people will buy goggles, some won’t for whatever reasons but just the fact that we agree that goggles are a defining aspect of VR, an extra cost accessory, means that there is indeed a stumbling block to mass acceptance/market penetration.

1 Like

Same goes for gaming consoles and associated controllers, some of them fairly specialized. Same goes even for cellphones - an extra cost communication accessory. It will depend on the cost/performance ratio how serious that speed bump will be.

1 Like

Having played around with the tech, VR is real. Mainstream? Who gives a shit. It will resonate with enough people to make a cultural impact. The same thing happened with PCs, DVDs, smart phones, or whatever; Build a critical mass, and everyone else will jump onboard.

Seriously, if you haven’t felt the least bit moved by an Oculus demo, you either a) didn’t actually get a chance to experience the Rift first-hand, or b) you had the misfortune of trying a dull demo.

1 Like

This is an area I know a lot about since I used to collect/deal in those. The market is littered with wonderful examples of the next big thing which just didn’t catch on to where it was cost effective to keep making em.

3 Likes

Now came the days of 3d printing, model and code sharing, and little arduino boards with USB-HID capability. We don’t need no stinkin’ market share anymore, we can have fuckin’ anything we please.

True, anyone is now free to spend hundreds of dollars to make their own Boing Boing Revolution game controller. :smiley:

Hundreds?!?

$5 for an ATmega32u4 board, $20/kg of filament and we’re likely to need 100g at most, printer amortizes over years into many printouts so counts as few bucks at most. $15 for ten 5x5cm boards at Dirty PCBs if we want a substrate to hold buttons in place instead of wiring them manually. STL files and firmware can be downloaded for free. Some wires and soldering.

Regardless how I am counting, I am still at low dozens USD.

Almost all these trends are based around sensors, data mining and social media. The kind of people that are interested in them tend in my experience to be very optimistic - and expect results far too soon. I answered the questions based on “in 2016”, when I think almost all of them are unlikely. But thinking back on my 30-year-old self as a designer, I remember how we were convinced that every new idea would be transformative and very, very few were, I am still generally optimistic about technology, but nowadays I see the biggest problem as no longer being resistance from conservatives, but misuse by corporations and governments.

2 Likes

hmm, you’re very good at dicting the present.

2 Likes

I have had an Oculus Rift for two years, and I like it. For relaxed entertainment use such as 3D videos, it is easy to get used to. For gaming, it can be tricky. Some knowledge of how to calibrate it for the depth and width of your eyes is useful.

For gaming, it was a vomit comet the first few times I tried it. Once I got used to it though, it was a boon. I have used it in (informally) competitive gonzo combat in HL2DM and found the advantages to be quite real, despite most people apparently dismissing hardcore gaming use as too disorient(at)ing. Being able to move, look, and shoot in different directions simultaneously is very useful, and quite fun. It has been “a game changer” for me.

I do look forward to more desktop/productivity uses. The latest Rifts offer much more resolution than my old DK1. If I had better coding chops, I’d love to see KiCAD or some of my music programs Rift-enabled. Interacting with the computer in a 3D environment is quite natural and I think makes a huge difference. But there will always be some who fuss about using anything which isn’t included straight out of the box.

3 Likes

The people who came up with that one never considered that it was the desktop that was the threatened species, not Linux.
My feeling is that when VR becomes mainstream, it will be on a new platform that is quite unexpected. I don’t think Oculus Rift is it. Some major breakthrough is needed so that the outside real world can be switched to quickly.The version planned for 2018 might be the transitional device, but I suspect that Sony or Samsung are more likely to get theirs in first as soon as they see a chance of profit.[edit for typo]

4 Likes
To make this happen, wearable companies must open their data troves for third-party data mining.
Data driven design will fundamentally change the retail experience and the design of the products, catapulting companies to rich insights and sustainable growth."

Much of what I found in that list had a lot to do with ‘opening’ consumer/business “data troves” to further commodify every last bit of information generated by consumers in the rare case it can be used to sell that consumer at least one more thing.

Oh, and VR. VR’s gonna be real big next year. Mockulous Thrift and all that jazz.

1 Like

I’ll be happy when I can navigate inside 3d design applications. I can see ZBrush for instance being a much more hands-on approach.

2 Likes

That’s what I am looking forward to a lot. One of the many things.

1 Like

I thought you’d have had one wirelessly connected to your neural network already.
(Add to your to-do list).

1 Like

Already there. With a bunch of prerequisites scheduled ahead of it.

1 Like