The Apple Vision Pro is as ridiculous as you'd expect in public

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/04/the-apple-vision-pro-is-as-ridiculous-as-youd-expect-in-public.html

If you are going to play Tim Cook’s Splinter Cell I think you are supposed to stay sneaky and not attract attention.

2 Likes

This seems about as useful as you’d expect.

8 Likes

Insightful comment. Do explain.

10 Likes

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

15 Likes

That was a big concern when cell phones started having cameras, but we’ve figured out how to live with the possibility of being recorded in public. If you are creeped out by the possibility of being recorded in public, you should probably not go out in public. ETA: /s But devices like this are not a good reason to be worried.

6 Likes

Making fun of someone wearing one in public is amusing, but kinda missing the point. I just watched Avatar on AVP last night, and as an entertainment device, it’s a game changer (literally and figuratively).

p.s. Original Mac in today’s dollars over $7k (Macintosh 128K - Wikipedia)… and that seems to have not just faded away.

8 Likes
5 Likes

10 Likes

The Apple Vision Pro is as ridiculous as you’d expect in public

no, not really. more like as embarrassing as I expected.

4 Likes

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Yeah, because that’s possible… I mean, people don’t need to go out anyway, right? /s

I’m unsure why you’d defend an orwellian style-surveillance society? Not sure why just because something exists, it’s okay that it exists?

13 Likes

Once i foolishly thought that having a loud conversation in public to apparently no one (due to ear-bud technology) would never be acceptable; foolish me.

(“i’m still waiting on the full projection of a less ugly face… mask”)

11 Likes

I’m going to assume Ivan thinks Apple will succeed where everyone else has failed, because they’ve done it before, but I’d love to hear his take just to be sure.
If anyone cares I think this’ll fail just as badly as every other VR device has over the past 20 years or so.
It’s the 3D TV of 2024.

3 Likes

For those wondering what it actually looks like to the person using the vision pro.

4 Likes

Brilliant, problem solved!
Any ideas on solving global warming?

3 Likes

Just live with it, because if something exists, that means we can’t criticize or try to change it… /s

10 Likes

Unless you’re just generally opposed to the idea of VR/AR ever being a thing, I’m not sure why you’d hope this is the last they ever make. Even if this isn’t a perfect product, of it’s successful that’ll keep making it better. And if you just don’t like Apple, other companies will surely copy their success and enter the market with different options.

I haven’t had a chance to use one of these yet, but from what I’ve seen, they do seem like the first VR product to possibly be useful as an actual tool, and not just a gaming device.

I personally wouldn’t use one of these on the subway, but I definitely would on an airplane. I love the idea of being able to watch a big screen movie while flying.

3 Likes

There’s a non-trivial difference between “everyone is carrying around portable cameras now” and “I have no way of knowing if the cyborg-like person I’m currently having a face-to-face conversation with is recording me at this very moment.”

9 Likes

also more or less the premise of a ted chiang story…

5 Likes

Whether or not this product will catch on remains to be seen. I don’t know and haven’t tried it and won’t. But we made fun of folks walking around on their cell phones back in the late 90’s because they looked just as foolish, and now… well…

In time, one of these products will have the right combination of price, features, and looks to become highly sought after, and this sort of behavior will become far more normalized.

8 Likes