15 technology trends for 2016

The politicians, the lobbyists and litigious companies are in my view doing far more harm than “the public”. At least the public is prepared to be early adopters and amortise the R&D of things so they are affordable for the people who actually want them to use. But for the public being conned into thinking they needed DTP to write a letter, things like Word would still cost tens of thousands of dollars.

1 Like

I’m okay with some goggles…

Agreed. See also the budding weed business in Colorado, Oregon, and WA, where the first well-oiled business people immediately began building (or at least lobbying for the creation of such) regulatory policies that would restrict any new players in the market. Or, for the full salted earth treatment, see also abortion clinics in Texas.

2 Likes

(posted from a linux lappy)

5 Likes

We all need friends — esp. we hapless plebes! :wink:

“Linux On The Desktop” as a phrase doesn’t just mean running linux on your desktop (or laptop). Methinkest you just wanted to post a gif in this thread…

These go hand in hand. We need to bring the cost of many technologies down to the level when we can make whatever we want regardless if it injures the delicate sensibilities/prejudices/aesthetics of a neighbor or a business model of a major corporation.

We also need friends able to talk about more than kicking a ball and politics and local gossips.

No True Scotsman Linux-On-The-Desktop?

1 Like

No, I’m running linux on my lappy, I assure you. I’m not the most technically minded, but I’m married to one who is. He keeps me in open source. I was just trying to keep it OT and not go off the rails about corporate hegemony.

And you called, what did you expect? :wink:

1 Like

My bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Something like that yeah.

(Markdown doesn’t work in quotes?)

Welp, I’ll try not to annoy you again.

Please try, please succeed!

Actually, corporate hegemony is the zeroth technology trend for 2016.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.