1896's "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" upscaled and smoothed with AI

Thanks. But I’m still rather nonplussed. What is it about weird lighting effects that makes it “Parents Mode”?

1 Like

I have no clue. :man_shrugging:

I’m wondering if maybe @bobtato is talking about editing, not lighting?

2 Likes

I think it means when your parents buy a new TV and it has every smoothing and upscaling feature enabled by default, then they play their old DVDs and stuff on it and everything gets this odd motion blur effect.

Traditionally movies would be shot on film at 24fps while soap operas would use analogue video cameras at a higher but interlaced frame rate. It’s hard to describe but you’d know it if you saw it.

5 Likes

Yes, this is a good explanation. It’s very disconcerting to view this way.

2 Likes

It is as @ProfessorDumb speaks; most people first encounter it when they go to visit their parents, who have a new TV, and everything on that TV looks like local news (or a soap opera). For reasons that I don’t think have been researched, older people don’t seem to notice whatever the difference is, while others find it unbearably grating.

The actual TV’s menu will call it something else, like “motion smoothing”.

2 Likes

Thanks. (And @knoxblox @bobtato)
I am glad to have a perfectly functional 5-year-old (or older - I forget) TV that offers none of this fuckwitterish nonsense, on which I watch largely broadcast or cable TV (I’m in UK, it’s fine) and which will in all likelihood ‘see me out’.

sort of the right time period. Possibly not the appropriate strata of society.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.