1961 psychiatric interview with a schizophrenic

LSD seems to do a lot of good for some people, but my understanding is it’s very counterindicated for people with schizophrenia…

1 Like

I got the sense that he was very concerned that his father disliked him, and the piano playing was about getting his father to show faith in him by investing in lessons.

Also, frankly, I think I’d have handled that persistent questioning, obviously fishing for some answer rather than just saying what they had to say, much worse than this fellow did.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing something so persona @udqbpn . I think it’s a good thing that you have done. I think I can relate, in a way. When I used to have severe allergic episodes, I would experience rages, confusion, looping thoughts and dreamlike detachment (and more) which seem strikingly similar to descriptions of schizophrenia symptoms.

An interesting article I’ve read about schizophrenia research said that it may be related to immune system malfunctions which kill off certain cells in the brain and damages other tissues. Enough damage to key cells results in a permanent condition. It described success using anti-inflammatory drugs to turn early-onset schizophrenia into a temporary condition.

Allergies are another kind of immune system malfunction. I wonder if antihistamines might not be useful in treating symptoms of schizophrenia?

5 Likes

Maybe he was getting forgetful and forget to buckle up… in other words, maybe he did “die of old age”

2 Likes

Regarding more interviews in the series, I can’t be certain, but there seem to be some more in the internet archive: https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Interview%2C+Psychological"

1 Like

I understand. What I was describing was the difficulty of accurately reporting what one is currently experiencing, not the experience itself.

3 Likes

I am really curious to hear his piano playing. That probably doesn’t even exist on tape in some archives somewhere.

1 Like

I watched this on Youtube about a month ago. There was another one of a young woman who was interviewed. I think she was 16 or something and it was in the 50’s and she was a real hellion. Then, they interviewed her something like 6 years later and she was married and living her life. I’ll try and find the links and post it. It’s facinating to hear how they view the world.

Perfect! Thanks for the link to this website. Here are the two videos I had mentioned in my previous post.

Thank you for sharing that. It’s always interesting to hear. My grandmother lived most of her life with paranoid/catatonic schizophrenia, which no doubt was completely different to your own experience. Of course, we only ever saw it from the outside, and will never know quite what she was going through.

Thanks for writing that. Like others said, can’t have been easy.

I have some very small insight into some of what you mention, in that I had a fairly intense episode of Steroid Induced Psychosis ten years ago. No voices or delusions that I was aware of, just a strong desire to hurt people. It was simply horrifying to be myself, quite aware, with my moral compass still functioning, calmly contemplating beating a stranger to death for absolutely no reason at all. One of the longest weeks of my life, but fortunately my memories of that time are sparse and spotty. And much more fortunately, no violence actually got done.

Nothing like a little brain chemistry to shatter the illusions of objective reality and free will, eh?

Ah got it… that makes sense.

1 Like

Thank you for that. The analogy you shared is throwing some light on this condition. I’m unaware of anyone I know with schizophrenia, but if I do, I hope I can understand them a little better now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.