1980 D&D ad asserts that RPGs are woman-friendly

Predictions like that are a pet peeve of mine. It’s impossible to prove the highlighted part of your statement. But, I understand your sentiment.

1 Like

My group was always 50/50 male to female. I did notice the girls got away with murder (for example, a 2nd ed bard dual wielding battleaxes and hurling fireballs in a +2 platemail bikini) but the DM was trying to get some, so who can blame him, really?

Maybe we were ahead of the curve.

1 Like

1980 would have been when my dad first taught me to play anyway, so I’m not surprised he didn’t shell out for minis. I had quite a collection in the late 80’s, but no one ever played using them.

Of course, my recollection is probably also skewed by the fact that it was the 90’s before the guys actually let me join their games. Now, at 41 and several sessions deep into a 5e campaign, I can say I have played every single edition of D&D.

This one is from 1991 - 11 years later and huge heap of…

1 Like

I didn’t ask you to name all of them, just some.

Can you give a single example?

EDIT for full transparency:

What I’m getting at here, in case you haven’t already guessed it, is that your inability (or unwillingness) to provide a single example of “legitimate feminism” (as opposed to your self-defined “quasi” variant) makes me suspicious that you don’t want there to be such a thing.

3 Likes

You remind me of some … unfortunate gaming sessions that happened when the boys got all excited that a girl wanted to play. Once I got to play a were-unicorn. And it wasn’t D&D, but I remember a college World of Darkness session where the GM had a thing for me … that resulted in my character never getting injured in any way ever. Including surviving a nuclear explosion.

Meanwhile he was killing every character my boyfriend made within 15 minutes of creation.

3 Likes

May of 1982 - look to be same people from the TV spot

I am not interested in polarizing it this way. Of course genetics are a factor, but feedback loops can be complex! Not unlike with domesticated plants and animals, their genetics have been influenced over time for some people’s convenience. So, in these cases, nurture has changed their nature. Of course it would be naive to suggest that there weren’t some inherent traits in these and humanity alike, we aren’t acausal, but there isn’t a lot of consensus about what exactly we are, how we got this way, and where we can take it from here.

I think that there is some semantic loading happening here with regard to “equality”. When people say that people of various genders, races, ethnicities, etc are “equal”, I think people aren’t so much saying that they are or should be the same, but rather that they are of equal worth, that they should be assumed to have equal potential. The problems tend to arise when somebody, who might be an exception, decides to pursue some path and is denied not because of their ability, but because of tradition. If a woman is capable of working in IT, why not facilitate her doing so? When the traditions and roles decide what capabilities are recognized instead of vice-versa, then inertia sets in, and people tend to feel that they are being unfairly discriminated against. If a person is actually unable to do something, then this would be apparent from their individual abilities. I very much doubt that people here have been earnestly suggesting that anybody is automatically interested in or equal to anything simply for the sake of even demographics.

1 Like

1980 - only one girl this time

Neckbeard beta white knight. Sigh.

I’m kind of amazed that I’m the first to point out that Pinochet came to power in 1973, and Thatcher was already in office by the time 1980 rolled around, too. Also, as one can see in user Koocheekoo’s link, this wasn’t an ad, but an article in Dynamite! magazine.

1 Like

Did your boyfriend retaliate by moving the guild to a LARP-topian camp in the woods?

3 Likes

Appropos of nothing but also:

Knightriders!

Featuring, in no particular order of importance

• Sympathetic gay characters
  • Female characters that are neither victim nor object
  • A cameo by Stephen King

EDIT: The feature list above is not exhaustive. Seriously, make an excuse to watch this under-appreciated gem.

5 Likes

You know it’s a fun topic when the don’t-push-your-luck dragon is listed as a frequent poster!

6 Likes

Just to let you know, this is actually the first time I’ve heard the term MRA. Men’s Rights Association? Not sure why that would be an insult, but I’m even less clear on what I’ve said that has anything to do with mens’ rights.

Wouldn’t it make sense to err on letting the discussion go where it goes? I mean, it’s not like we’re writing a constitution.

Really.

(A refutation to that refutation by Steven Pinker himself.)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4 Likes

Nope. It wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Actually, you are on topic :smiley:

It was the dozen or so posts that got completely wrapped around the axle about Cory’s choice to use a historical reference rather than a date that got moved to a separate topic.

Pro tip: It helps to read the whole thread before challenging a moderator’s decision :wink:

1 Like