1991 Radio Shack commercial for computers

Oh, man. Those places.

There was one on Long Island. I think I got a membership. Went twice, maybe.

The Fry’s in Wilsonville, OR is obviously a former Incredible Universe.

1 Like

Grrr Frauenfelder :slight_smile:

You forced me to google the 3 Radio Shacks I worked at in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

1. In the mall where I was a Mgmt. Trainee; it’s now an AT&T store . .

2. On the ground level of an office high-rise (where i was ‘tested’ as a Mgr. ~~ because it was only busy during the lunch hour and then again from 5-6PM); it’s now a bank.

3. The last store is now a mom & pop pizza & sub shop. (And 2/3 of that strip mall is out of business w/ lease signs in the windows!)

2 Likes

The one in Arlington, TX (one of the first, IIRC) also became a Fry’s. After that, it was more like a Radio Shack – a big, beautiful Radio Shack – in that they had aisles and aisles of resistors etc.

2 Likes

Somebody get me a cigarette

1 Like

The 1000 SL/2 was my first PC, that I used to learn programming and discover the internet (at 1200bps). It was a nice system back in the day, with better graphics and sound than other PC clones at the time. By the time I quit using that PC, I had some kind of multitasking TSR that let me switch between 3 programs and choose how much RAM to allocate to each along with a utility that let me overformat the 720k disks to over 800k. DeskMate was pretty cool back then. I wasted a lot of time playing with its database, spreadsheet, and sound editor.

3 Likes

“CPU Only”

It was pretty common for users to refer to the box under the monitor as “the CPU” or “the hard drive,” but a commercial? Doesn’t inspire confidence…

2 Likes

I’ve never seen this many people in Radio Shack in total, let alone all at once!

3 Likes

Oh yea! That was my store ! Except for the people. In south Mississippi, nobody dressed like that. Plus, I would redirect people away from the desk mate and next door to get an Emerson pc at wal mart.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.