19th-century women went nuts for Franz Liszt, music's first celebrity

Well he’s dead so he’s not getting any money from me.

Being honest I prefer Braque as a cubist and Pablo spent decades as a parody of himself. But even then some of his sculptures or ceramics shock me by being good.

And he was very definitely called an asshole, well a con, a pute, etc. in his life. Because he was a world class arsehole

3 Likes

It should have existed. I’ve always been a fan. His works are the most American sounding 19th century parlor music I’ve listened to. And African American contributions to the music of the era are still overlooked.

2 Likes

To be fair, 6’6" was a pretty big pianist for early 20th century Russia

2 Likes

Rasputin would be proud.

1 Like

Damn. Jonathan Richman was so totally wrong.

2 Likes

Per Pianoworld.com, PH’s span was a 10th.

2 Likes

I recall reading something (per Oscar Peterson) about the great Art Tatum’s unique style of playing (fluid, flat handed… not curled). Some of the contemporary pianists would attempt to copy his style, thinking it would improve their performance; just the opposite, it “ruined” their hands.

4 Likes

Was that a result of Tatum being blind and largely self taught, or did he consciously reject playing with curved hand posture?

2 Likes

NO idea. Possibly. But I do know of more than a few blind pipe organists who (in photos and film) are seen using the standard approach. And those organists have strong tutorial lineage going back a couple of hundred years. Tatum did have lessons, but only later on after he worked in his own technique as a child prodigy. I’m surprised the later lessons did not “take” or were never addressed.

2 Likes

By the time he had lessons, he had already developed his technique, and undoing it would do more harm than good.

4 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

Thinking back on my lessons, it’s hard to watch some performances and consider how many times using the same methods would’ve led to my hands being poked with a pencil… :grimacing:

3 Likes

You know what they say.
Big hands, big intervals.

6 Likes

They say that between big hand related orgies.

1 Like

And before getting big cases of syphilis.

2 Likes

Is that where the clap comes from?

4 Likes

Its tough not to forget the movie. More batshit than Bruce Wayne’s basement.

2 Likes

Big hands, big clap.

4 Likes

Mmmmm… nope. But I applaud your pun.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.