$1bn blood-testing scam Theranos dissolved

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/05/1bn-blood-testing-scam-compan.html

6 Likes

True, but she also did some bad things.

47 Likes

Holmes conned Betsy DeVos, Rupert Murdoch, and the Walmart heirs alone out of $350m by literally cosplaying Steve Jobs. How is this reality?

Truly we live in the dumbest timeline.

14 Likes

$1bn blood-testing scam Theranos dissolved

I wanna know what they did with all that blood?

10 Likes

That scene from Silicon Valley where TJ Miller is cosplaying Steve Jobs. That is some real shit.

Satya Nadella has been spotted doing it, in fact.

5 Likes

Peter Thiel probably picked it up at fire-sale prices.

Anyone who’s worked in tech knows the secret of that show: it’s a documentary.

founder Elizabeth Holmes somehow clung on until finally being charged with fraud a few weeks ago.

Orange is the New Black … for turtlenecks!

13 Likes

That’s seriously the silver lining in this story; she fleeced some truly horrible rich people who are actively making the world worse.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Regarding that Mattis tweet - I’m pretty sure that grifting experience is a requirement for admission to this administration.

3 Likes

the worst crime here is that we might now have to wait decades for a real solution to break the american lab test duopoly

maybe some decade there will eventually be a chip developed you can put a drop of blood and then the processing of that blood is done elsewhere on super computer clusters, etc. and then it will cost a few dollars like an amazon cloud server pay-per-use

oh btw, your doctor won’t tell you this but you don’t need a script, permission or insurance to get cheaper lab tests in most states - purposely not making this a link so no-one thinks it’s a referral scam or anything but this is a “meta search engine” to compare lab test costs by zip code, it’s not perfect but better than anything else I’ve found: LabEspy .com - there are still only two labs in most locations but that website compares resellers who give different levels of discounts

2 Likes

It’s a sad indicment of our current state of affairs. When we have to rely on lying crooks to bring lying crooks to justice because everyone is lying crook, we’re fucked.

1 Like

I don’t know what’s going on here, but I feel bad for that poor racoon. He just wanted to wash his lunch is all.

6 Likes

Why are they wasting our tax dollars harassing this job creator? They should be investigating Hillary’s emails!

(So that it feels like the first time again!)

2 Likes

It’s cotton candy. And a scurvy trick.

1 Like

Cargo cults are a thing.

5 Likes

“Build it and they’ll come”.

1 Like

Behold the befuddling powers of the seven magic words! “We are all going to be rich.” Presto! Logic no longer has a foothold on your senses!

3 Likes

Good thing we stopped Theranos before they got all of the infinity stones.

10 Likes

In the long version of the clip, the raccoon learns to not wash the cotton candy after a few tries.

4 Likes

Or even: pretend to build it, and they will come?

1 Like