20th Century Men brilliantly flips the Cold War on its head, with superheroes

Originally published at: 20th Century Men brilliantly flips the Cold War on its head, with superheroes | Boing Boing

1 Like

Welp, this sounds right up my alley! Thanks!

[ETA] I do want to say that it seems like this follows along with newer interpretations in cold war historiography, where the people in the non-aligned, decolonizing world are given a greater voice in that history, and aren’t just seen as puppets of the west or puppets of the Soviets or Chinese Communists. So that’s good that mindset seems to be seeping into the public consciousness about the Cold War some.

9 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly it — the two Empires are clearly the primary protagonists of the plot (read: super-soldier action) but the heart of the actual story is with the workers and the Afghani (and other) people forced into those “proxy” positions, who are all given agency in a way that’s rarely seen.

4 Likes

That’s excellent! I enjoyed the alternate historical take of Watchmen (both the comic and the show) with regards to how it handles Vietnam, but certainly giving the Vietnamese some agency was missing.

I’m looking forward to reading this! Thanks for putting it on my radar!

3 Likes

Any hat tips to ROBOT JOX ??

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.