216 "untranslatable" emotional words from non-English languages

I’m not surprised. It looks pretty, but those ingredients!

1 Like

Of course German would have a special word for well behaved children…

There are two Dutch words on the list that I didn’t know (Dutch is my native language): queesting and janteloven. Can’t find them in the dictionary either, though they may be from a local dialect.

1 Like

I haven’t managed to see that yet, I’ll have to make a point to.

(Maybe save it for the next time I need a mood lifter. It looks like a feel-good flick. :wink: )

1 Like

Oh, you mean “tact” :wink:

I think no word can be translated perfectly into another language, carrying every shade of meaning with it. But no word means exactly the same thing to any two different people, even in the same language.

2 Likes

Today I learned this guy is Cherokee:

3 Likes

I get the feeling that the Klingon is more “I am excited at the possibility to die in battle since my culture values that above all else, and the opportunities to do that with honor are sometimes few and far between”. The Cherokee left me with the “complete content feeling of life at the moment”. Maybe they are untranslatable…

Imagine a centerfold in a daily, otherwise normal, newspaper

1 Like

That is very true.

Also, not in the centre. On Page 3. Not on the cover (that would be dirty) - on Page 3.

1 Like

not sure where I’m going with this

I was somewhat surprised to see the Spanish “estrenar” on there. The English word “debut” covers it, though I suppose “debut” does have some other associated meanings.

For instance:
I want to debut my dress when we visit Manny.
Quiero estrenar me vestido cuando visitamos a Manny.

Out of all the hundreds of non-translatable words in Japanese why did ‘aware’ have to appear twice?

If it was a five-page paper?

The John-boy version was the first I saw, at an impressionable agree. Which is when everybody should be made to watch it.

1 Like

I think “aware” only gains meaning through repetition of the transient experience.*

* Hence the Latin phrase “mono no aware”.**

######** Yes, I am ashamed.

From my time in Germany, I would have assumed the word was ‘kinder’.

1 Like

Closest us food coma

1 Like

Exactly! When you find a word or short phrase that doesn’t have a snappy English translation, what you’re supposed to do is import it wholesale into English, with bonus points if you mangle the pronunciation on the way.

That’s how you get a language with a seriously huge vocabulary, as well as a cripplingly obtuse orthography.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.