Here's a list of non-translatable words, such as Backpfeifengesicht, which means a face in need of a slap

Originally published at: Here's a list of non-translatable words, such as Backpfeifengesicht, which means a face in need of a slap | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Pedant warning:

… for example, is translatable as:

And so on.

What they really mean is “not easily translatable in a simple, term-for-term way”.

31 Likes

happy i love you GIF

23 Likes

Needs more than a slap, but it’s a start.

23 Likes

The Persian princes of Serendip would be surprised to find they’re actually speaking Tamil…

3 Likes

Personally, I think the most interesting class of “non-translatable” words are those that are so weighted with cultural baggage that, although you can convey the rough gist of them, it is nigh impossible for an outsider to ever fully grok their nuances, at least without years of immersion. E.g., Japanese honorifics.

21 Likes

Well, technically, vellichor is an invented word (not a “real” word).

1 Like

Not sure why you’re telling me, as I did not make the list?

But thanks…

5 Likes

It’s a perfectly cromulent word, certainly better than “embiggen.”

11 Likes

Sorry; on that previous post, I didn’t mean to reply directly to you. My bad.

6 Likes

When it comes down to it, all words are invented.

16 Likes

Yeah, I think if we are going to throw about the term “non-translatable” it should be reserved for cases along these lines: where some sort of cultural familiarity is essential to understanding the word’s subtleties.

I might also consider words like “ya” in Spanish or “tak” in Danish, which have a kajillion meanings that are highly contextual to their use in the language itself. This is not quite untranslatable (it’s translatable in any one context, to be sure) but to fully capture the idea of the word is not really possible in translation without a LOT of explanation or examples.

12 Likes

Ennui is an English word that can’t be translated? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Rabenmutter is the German word for “a bad mom”

Can confirm, German mother tossed that one out when she had a skin full of peppermint schnapps in her. Nowadays they’d call that a self own.

4 Likes

Oh! Happens to the best of us!

I Mean Come On GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

13 Likes

The equivalent of jo in Norwegian and doch in German exists, as far as I’m aware, in every Germanic language except English. I find it utterly untranslatable in a simple way.

6 Likes

Hah! My first thought was, “we pronounce that one ‘Cruz.’”

6 Likes

Is there a word for “a face in need of a punch”?

8 Likes

When I have to describe “doch,” to a non-German speaker I always say, “is so,” with attitude.
Specific attitude may vary :wink:

5 Likes

Which is warranted, I mean, the self-contradiction is right in the post title.

7 Likes