$2k desktop milling machine

WTF is that monstrosity?

As a proud owner of a more capable ā€œChinese CNCā€ off ebay for half the price and delivered in 2 days (search ā€œ3040 CNCā€ or more comparable 3020 for 1/4 price, yes, is missing software and enclosure), I canā€™t help but think that Kickstarter sometimes allows people to sell at massively inflated prices with long delay times.

However, I am fully in the CNC router over 3D printer camp for the moment for serious projects. Wider choice of materials, can drill and mill PCBs, can modify existing items etc etc. 3D printers are fun, but very slow and (at least the affordable ones) arenā€™t suitable for final product.

Main issue with CNC routers is the software stack is a pain and often expensive. Too many steps and complexities between idea and milled result. The precision of my cheap CNC router hardware is phenomenally good.

Found via reverse image search: http://www.dvice.com/archives/2010/10/guess_how_many.php

1 Like

I was looking for an even more impressive one from many, many years ago, but could not locate images in a 20 second searchā€¦

Take a welder. Put it on top of a desk.

2 Likes

L, you magnificent bastard!

I guess theyā€™re kickstarting the package - the same way you might pay a premium for Mac or Windows over Linux, for something that works out of the box. I could see that being useful in schools or universities where the challenge is to put together a collection of working tools that a class can use relatively quickly. Though it is interesting to know the different points along the price/complexity of setup curve.

As some have mentioned, the Taig is a very good desktop CNC. I personally own and use a Sherline milling machine with CNC, and I love it. It might be the lightest, smallest option in this arena that has the capability to mill things like Titanium, with great precision. Iā€™m still an amateur, but itā€™s been really fun / empowering. Oh, and the full setup costs less than $2k, and thereā€™s a plethora of tooling and accessories by Sherlineā€¦ they try to give the same options users of full sized mills have.

DiscountCampus is the retailer Iā€™ve found to have the best prices on all the Sherline stuff; I put that here because they have poor SEO, and I wish I had bought mine through them instead of used on eBay; wouldā€™ve payed the same and got some software licenses thrown in. I currently run Techne CAD/CAM, some custom G-Code generators, and LinuxCNC (separate boxen), and itā€™s a good setup for my needsā€¦ all free software.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.