40-hour workweek dead in US, says survey

I used to work long hours like you suckers, but then I decided to shave the corners off my pushing cube. Suck it, squares!

3 Likes

My previous job had two weeks per month where we at it for about 120 hours per week. That’s about 20 hours per day for six days. Slow times for me tended to be “only” 50-60 hours per week. Overtime was officially discouraged, but they were happy enough to explain it away every time. It feels much healthier dealing with the challenges of unemployment, rather than working myself to death for creeps.

2 Likes

You use maniac in the coloquial sense (I assume) but I really do think the USian culture of long work hours has at least as a contributor mental illness and/or depression. The person I know who works the longest hours voluntarily is an extremely intelligent high functioning undiagnosed mentally ill person. She doesn’t sleep and never has, she is a pathological liar who lives in a world of her own divising, so has trouble forming relationships.

So workaholism is her drug of choice, as it is for a good portion of her emotionally troubled (due to a truly insane upvringing by said person) adult children. If life isn’t working for you, what’s the value in work/life balance.

Thus is all, of course, just an interesting side note to the obvious central cause, the bizarre bootstrap-obsessed, entepreneur/money worship that heaps actual religious shame upon those who do not have an innate drive to win/grind themselves into the ground. So, some collective mental illness as well.

3 Likes

Yes, this also plays into the gender disparity in the work place. Women are still shouldering more of the childcare burden, and are penalized for it.

But what we should do is work towards a better work-life balance across the board, as opposed to rewarding those who only conform to traditional gender roles. Acknowledge the workers humanity and recognize that people aren’t just robots…

2 Likes

I work on construction sites, and I am paid hourly. My base pay is over 100k. Glad to hear you make 1/2 million a year. Enjoy!

As a new father who barely managed to wrangle a chunk of paternity leave by burning the vacation days i accrued through never taking time off (and i work for an early childhood nonprofit…) I couldn’t agree more.

5 Likes

I want my, I want my, I want my Jersey Shore.

Duly noted and probably a poor choice of words. I was going for maniacal*, so I guess I should have said as much.

(2. Characterized by excessive enthusiasm or excitement: a maniacal interest in gambling.)

1 Like

Oh, I wasn’t criticising your word choice here, just segueing to the thoughts that it led me to…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.