Working long hours can lead to death, according to the WHO

Originally published at: Working long hours can lead to death, according to the WHO | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I somehow don’t think this argument will carry any weight with the folks who own the markers for my student loan debt.

11 Likes

Working long hours can lead to death, according to the WHO

Thank you, but I think we as human beings know this.

17 Likes

“Out here in the fields/I fight for my meals/I get my back into my living…” ~ The Who

6 Likes

The WHO study finds correlation and jumps to assume causation.

Turns out it’s not just a metaphor.

9 Likes

as someone who used to work 16 - 18 hour days (and not just in spurts , like the occasional all-nighter, but each and every fucking day, 7 days a week) i can attest that over time it grinds you into a sickly oblivion - maybe some people can cope with that kind of self abuse but i couldn’t and ended up walking away from it all - still had my requisite heart attack (i don’t recommend those either) but am much healthier for having concluded my tenure as a human machine - turn off your computer and go outside for a walk

14 Likes

The good news is, you’re making somebody else rich.

7 Likes

16 Likes

Fry: The worst thing about being a slave is thry work you long hours abd don’t pay you.

Leela: That’s the only thing about being a slave.

4 Likes

Considering it’s named after the act of literally marching people to death, it’s not surprising.

1 Like

The Japanese have long known this. They even have a word for it: 過労死.

3 Likes

Erm, this really isn’t news. Taiwan has had people dropping from overwork for decades. It’s an enormous problem here, but people are too scared of rocking the boat to actually stand up for worker’s rights. At the same time we now have a negative birth rate. This is partially for economic reasons - spiraling inequality thanks to neoliberal policies, stagnant wages, house prices rising to insane levels - but also because people are forced to work ridiculous hours with almost no time off. 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week are common, and refusing to work overtime can get you fired easily. And the government wonders why nobody is having kids…

2 Likes

The idea that working more than eight hours a day was unproductive has been around for centuries. My entire working life I’ve never had to work more than 48 hours in a week.
Of course, avoiding pesky labour laws like the EU Working Time Directive are one of the reasons brexit was popular, so I should probably enjoy a normal working week while I can.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.