$6,000 payments against student loan reduces debt by $700

Ok, Former minnesotan, I have 3 thoughts.

A.) Go to a better school.
B.) Full time, room and board paying in state undergrad degree, per MSU-Mankato estimates for this year is $16266. Which makes out to 65K without scholarships and assuming you lived on campus with a meal plan.
C.) Graduate program costs about 7k for tuition for the 14-15 academic year.

Also, this pisses me off. I went to an in-state school in Minnesota, and in addition to my OUT OF STATE graduate degree, I still owe 38K from an original 45k loan. How did I do that? By overpaying my student loans in the hope that one day I might be able to get loan forgiveness.

I might some day. IF I DIDNā€™T KEEP HAVING ANEURYSMS FROM PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT HAVING NO MONEY AND CAN AFFORD HBO.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not going to fault the guy. People come at life from all perspectives. Most people can only manage those minimum payments, especially fresh out of school. Thatā€™s all I could do for a few years after getting my bachelorā€™s. My payments were about $350 a month through the mid 90ā€™s.

But then I wised up. I realized that if I could swing even $50 more per month, I would be knocking down that principal much faster. Then, it was $100 more and towards the end I just lumped it and paid off the last 6 grand in one payment to get out from under the monkey. Key, though, was paying more than the minimum. It sure did hurt. Took me forever to save for buying my first house and I had to drive crappy old cars.

Now Iā€™m used to crappy, so hey, whatā€™s new. Thanks, college!

2 Likes

Dude. You gotta live. If some peopleā€™s idea of living is HBO, then so be it. At least heā€™s not out on the street raping dogs and cats.

1 Like

Its not ā€˜front loadedā€™ its just the nature of paying back a loan over time with approximately fixed payments.

On the first payment toward a $500,000 mortgage you are paying interest on $500,000. On the very last payment when you only owe $2000 you are paying interest on that. Unsurprisingly the interest on $500,000 is 250 times more than the interest on $2000.

10 Likes

Dude, HBO adds up when you need unexpected surgery.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œMikeTheBard, post:20, topic:68158ā€]I couldnā€™t afford the higher monthly payment of a 10 or 15 year mortgage. I understand how compound interest works, and made that choice because it was approximately the same price as rents in this area.

But it was still a choice made because there were no good options. Yes, this is how the system works, but that system exploits the poor for the benefit of the rich. Just because youā€™re forced to choose the lesser of two evils doesnā€™t mean youā€™re no longer able to recognize it as evil.
[/quote]

What would be a less evil alternative? We could ban home lending, in which case you would have been forced to rent, which you say (and I agree) is a greater evil than the one you chose. We could restrict long-term lending (e.g., the government could stop subsidizing home loans longer than 10 or 15 or 20 years), which might bring down the purchase price of homes a little, but probably not enough to enable you to afford something with a 15 year loan than you can only afford with a 30 year loan today, so youā€™d still be stuck renting. We could go full communist and outlaw private ownership of housing altogether, because [sarcasm] that has worked SO well in the countries that have tried it. [/sarcasm]

I guess we could have government-sponsored anti-HGTV broadcasts that discourage people from coveting more home than they can afford. Is there something better than Iā€™m missing?

2 Likes

So. This dude clearly has never looked at the total monies paid back on a mortgageā€¦has he. Because my $250,000 home when paid back on time for the full 30 year loan would run me about $600,000 out the door.

3 Likes

Guys guys guys. There are things that are different about educational loans: rates frequently higher than other securitized loans, sometimes weird fees, and the big one is that they canā€™t be discharged through bankruptcy. Those things are totally fair game for griping. But whatā€™s being talked about here is how all loans work.

If someone offers you a different kind of loan (e.g., an ā€œinterest-onlyā€ mortgage, or the ā€œbullet loanā€ where you pay the principle and accumulated interest all at once, or a balloon loan which is halfway in between) you should probably run screaming away from it, unless you have highly specific needs and resources. Otherwise, this is as square a deal as youā€™re going to get while still being charged interest.

Same deal with your mortgage, same deal with your car loan, same deal with your credit cards, same deal with your home equity loan. Every month the amount of money you owe goes up from interest. Every month you pay it down. By the power of arcane mathemagicks, you will owe much more interest on a balance of $100,000 in month 1 than you will on a balance of $500 in month n-1.

Anything else would be the lender failing to charge interest. And if you can get a zero interest loan, by all means grab it, but itā€™s a bit much to expect that on demand.

We joke about being ā€œdisappointed in BoingBoingā€ but honestly, I am a little disappointed that, of all the possible kvetches they could air about student loans, they picked the one that amounted to ā€œnobody told me Iā€™d have to pay back more money than I borrowed!ā€ Is basic math not a Wonderful Thing anymore?

9 Likes

One year of tuition is ~$32,000.

For example:

http://www.umass.edu/umfa/undergraduates/costs

UMass Amherst is a safety school for most MA residents.

Edit: oops, yeah, in-state youā€™re right. I suspect room and board, books, etc.

Room and board is always where they get you too.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this without the authoritarian bureaucracy and secret police and stuff? Honest question.

That sounds pretty much like libertarian-communism. I donā€™t know if they got around to doing this in Anarchist Catalonia or in Makhnovist Ukraine but they would be the first places I would look at the history of.

3 Likes

This is one reason I never refinanced in the mid-2000ā€™s when everybody was treating their home equity like a piggy bank. Iā€™ve been paying off my mortgage for over 15 years and have reached the point where most of my monthly payment is going towards the principle rather than interest.

Iā€™ve never understood the people who are always refinancing in order to get the lowest rate possible - all theyā€™re doing is resetting the interest clock and never really significantly pay down the principle. Yes, my rate of 5.8% is quite high compared to others but Iā€™m actually ahead of schedule in being completely mortgage (along with all debt) free in less than 5 years.

2 Likes

Sounds like someone in his life needs to sit him down and tell him about Bittorrent.

6 Likes

According to this link - Minnesota State University, Mankato - $7,835/yr. Room and board would be more. Thatā€™s what part time jobs are for, though.

http://www.mnscu.edu/admissions/collegecostcomparison.html

Yeah, found that after I made my commentā€¦sorry about that!

Re: part time jobsā€¦makes you wonder what he was doing between classes.

Orā€¦ whoā€¦

In my case, I refinanced (twice) with the explicit goal of lowering interest. I did not borrow additional money, and I did not finance the fees of the refinance process. The remaining balance of the loan prior to (each) refinancing was the same as after. In addition, Iā€™ve continued to pay exactly the same amount each month, which was originally above the minimum payment. Therefore, Iā€™m just paying more additional principal than I was before. My payoff date is still the same, even though the end date of my loan has been pushed back (twice).

1 Like

Good luck finding a part time job that will cover room & board. $10 bucks an hour @ 25 hrs/week at the book store wonā€™t cut it anymore. At all of my stateā€™s colleges, R&B is actually more than tuition (~$12K/year). Total college expenses typically comes out to around $25-30K per year.

5 Likes

Where the hell are you kids living? Or is that like the dorms or something? If the butler came in every other day would that make it cheaper?

I lived alone in a shitty apartment. I had friends who rented houses and had way more room and paid way less in rent because they split it like 4 ways.

1 Like