6-day prison sentence for FedEx driver who stole guns from packages he was supposed to deliver

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/07/6-day-prison-sentence-for-fedex-driver-who-stole-guns-from-packages-he-was-supposed-to-deliver.html

3 Likes

6 days!? :angry:

4 Likes

Something smells and it isn’t the piss jar in the truck.

8 Likes

What’s judicial salt?
[edit] Maybe I get it. The judge didn’t like how the bust went down.
In my day the slang context of “salty” meant “crude”.

[second edit] I can’t find corroboration for my definition. Maybe I never knew what it meant.

1 Like

what a coincidence, Judicial Salt is also my band’s name

3 Likes

Six days? SIX FUCKING DAYS? (and 3 years supervised release and 250 hours of community service).

Politicians rant about needing tough laws for gun crime and then when there is a gun crime they give a guy SIX FUCKING DAYS?? Is that just a misdemeanor? That doesn’t even prevent future possession! WTF.

I found the original Justice dept article on the arrest and it says:

The charge of possession of a stolen firearm provides for a sentence of up to 10 years in prison, up to three years of supervised release and a fine of up to $250,000. Sentences are imposed by a federal district court judge based upon the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and statutes which govern the determination of a sentence in a criminal case.

1 Like

The government recommended a sentence of 10 months in prison.

The legislature did not directly determine this guy’s particular sentence, and as far as “politicians ranting about needing tough laws for gun crime,” that kinda depends which politicians you’re talking about. Politicians who are owned by the NRA don’t seem to do much about tougher laws for gun crime. They’ve decided “thoughts and prayers” are sufficient in most cases, and the actual, socially acceptable penalties–ranging from virtually no punishment and talking head gigs all the way to summary execution on the street–seems to rely heavily on the race of the perpetrators and victims. And of course whether cops are the ones committing the gun crimes.

2 Likes

No argument there.

It may be worth noting though that the judge is a Biden-appointed African-American. What that may or may not say about her politics and views at the time of the sentencing is up for grabs. All I can say is that she may have learned of something at trial… something that we have yet to hear about.

Must say, the first reaction i had to this is: “you’re delivering firearms?”

America really needs to tackle this obsession. Owning firearms needs to be the exception rather than the norm.

If an average person wants guns to feel safe, then you have a massive other problem that any amount of guns won’t ever fix…

The fact that it was guns aside; this seems shockingly low just as a theft matter.

Unless they were all strikingly ‘value oriented’; “2 rifles and a shotgun” is probably enough to rise to the level of felony theft, especially if the person bringing charges gets to choose the least favorable plausible number and go with MSRP rather than what bargain hunters actually pay. That alone seems like it should be a slam dunk for rather more than 6 days.

I’m much less familiar with the intricacies of shipping, so if anyone knows any details I’d love to hear about them; but the risk of the carrier, or one of their agents, stealing your stuff; and the recognition that that’s deeply undesirable, seems like the sort of thing that would be widely recognized since basically forever: there are probably 17th century jurists in powdered wigs excoriating couriers of the criminal type if you love you some common law; as well as plenty of more contemporary material since shipping is a ubiquitous, important, and widely recognized as risky in certain ways, commercial interaction; so it wouldn’t be much of a surprise if there are additional penalties or enhancements specifically for doing the theft as a carrier or agent of one.

The theft matter aside; it also seems shockingly low for the gun matter; for obvious reasons.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.