760 flights diverted from Gatwick airport after drone scare, affecting 110,000 passengers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/20/dickheads-with-drones.html

3 Likes
4 Likes

Is the pillory still an acceptable punishment in the UK?

7 Likes

Sounds like they don’t have jammers. Why bother shooting a drone?

4 Likes

Who 'ya gonna call?

Drone Busters!

Dronebusters!
If there’s something strange in your flight path,
Who you gonna call? Dronebusters!
If there’s something weird and it don’t look good,
I ain’t afraid of no Drone.
If you’re seeing things flying through your head,
An invisible man sleeping in your seat,

10 Likes

“The police are looking for the operator and that is the way to disable the drone.”

When you think about it, that’s really ominous.

2 Likes

It’s a mean-looking plastic housing, but it’s just a cover for three yagi antennas.

5 Likes

If all flights were suspended, what were they afraid of the stray bullets hitting?

1 Like

I laugh a little every time I see it. It’s like some dude just waving around a Netgear router housing.

“Cill it with WiFi. Cill it with WiFi.”

6 Likes

What goes up…

7 Likes

The idea will be to catch the little knobheads and put them on trial.

The maximum sentence for flying a drone into an airport is five years, in the UK.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered when/if terrorists would stop killing themselves and start making real economic damage to their enemies by attacking our dependence on technology and transport. Seems like shutting down a couple of airports and then using a kite to land some mylar on some high tension power line insulators, then scuttling a fishing trawler sideways in a container port would be a really easy way to score some points against the great Satan.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

3 Likes

Laser. Death. Ray.

3 Likes

There seems to be a trend of knobheads using high-end commercial drones near airports. WTF is up with that?

A couple years ago, there was one near the Ottawa airport, TWO FRIGGING KILOMETERS UP! Altitude is a battery-killer for copter drones, and that one loitered for some time (but not long enough for the military jets to arrive).

These aren’t just people taking gopro shots with their birthday toy. They’ve put serious money and work into these disruptions, and I hope they catch a few to find out why.

(Although it’ll be the hobbyists that get it in the neck with more silly regulations.)

5 Likes
2 Likes

One of these, and a cricket bat?

4 Likes

This may also come under Public Nuisance which has no maximum sentence.

And there have been various suggestions as to motive, including climate change protesters (who have a record of disrupting flights, though not this successfully). Also, Britain First (i.e. Nazi) leader Jayda Fransen was apparently arrested when her flight from Belfast landed at Gatwick yesterday morning.

1 Like

Those “guns” appear to jam the two wifi bands and GPS, perfect against store-bought hobby drones. (Most of them will slow land on loss of control and GPS.)

The trouble with a deliberate disruption operation like this is that it’s very likely that they’re not using those frequencies.

It’d be a fun SIGINT project to analyze the drones’ communications.

5 Likes

or just crash-flight another drone into? gatwick seems really ill-prepared. guess that goes for most airports, though.

1 Like

So an article states the drones are not hobbyist camera drones, but are “of an industrial nature”. Can anyone here elaborate on that? Does this mean the culprit has to be in eyesight of his/her drone?

1 Like