8-year-old Guatemalan boy dies in U.S. Border Patrol custody on Christmas morning

I wouldn’t blame any father who refused to let La Migra take his kid out of the room

Federal public defenders say that immigration enforcement officials in the United States have repeatedly deceived immigrant parents arriving in the US seeking shelter from violent conditions in their home country, telling those individuals that they are taking their children away for baths or other benign reasons only to never return with them.

15 Likes

That’s an awful lot of reading for anyone who identifies as Christian but is OK with this.

4 Likes

He’d already been taken with the child to the hospital once. I don’t believe this was a question of the two being separated.

In those conditions, wet clothing is worse than naked, and a cement floor will suck the heat out too.

6 Likes

Have you ever been to a third world country? Have you ever been somewhere that doesn’t have functioning banks where if you’re not using cash or bartering then you aren’t buying anything? Have you ever been somewhere where you’re lucky when you have electricity?

14 Likes

Desperation and fear are pretty big motivators.

11 Likes

A parent refusing medical treatment doesn’t fly as an excuse. In the group home world, if a parent refused medical treatment for an ill child, we would file a Suspected Child Abuse Report (SCAR—can you believe it?) with Child Protective Services for medical neglect and take the kid to the damn doctor.
If a child said they wanted to see a doctor, we might ask a few questions, like any parent would do, we might discuss past history of misusing services or bring up relevant mental health issues that might encourage a child to think that seeing a medical doctor would help when it likely wouldn’t , but in the end, we take the kid to see the damn doctor. Why? Because we are caring for someone else’s child and we error on their side of keeping the healthy (or in this case fucking alive).
Also, remember that the people writing the reports are the ones who made the decisions. The reports are going to exculpate the writer.

4 Likes

You might ask that scrap of toilet paper stuck to them.

I cant get even…I mean, what do you think how DESPERATE these people must be to WALK through the desert for sometimes hundred of miles, eh? sometimes with their children. regarding to you, its just a picnic. on which planet exactly do you live?

10 Likes

you gotta me shitting me! I believe NO ONE here is “defending” smuggling people for money.

10 Likes

Indeed. What we’re defending is the idea that you should treat people at least as well as animals. The CBP seems to think they should be allowed to get away with treating people worse than vermin. Just like other historically similar organizations.

The SS comes to mind.

6 Likes

The government has learned its lesson.
Things will change now.
The next deaths will not be in the news.
And when the scope of the program is too embarrassing neither will the mass graves.

I wish to fuck I was joking.

6 Likes

Just a refresher…

People are not illegal. It is not “illegal” for a foreign person to exist in the US.
The term is illegal entry, and is a midemeanor for the first offense that carries about the same weight as a trespassing charge.

So, if you’ve ever been caught night swimming in a public pool, or caught on private property where there is trespassing signage, congratulations. You share the same level of guilt as someone who has circumvented a checkpoint for the first time.

16 Likes

Given what has been going on and the level of scumbaggery people have grown to expect from ICE, I don’t think that is an informed opinion.

1 Like

Evidently, its “our” fault, and the parents fault, and everyone else else, but not the current administration…

6 Likes

Instant fail. Why? Because the majority of illegals enter the country legally, dimwit.

Boom! That sound was your argument exploding in your face. Don’t bother trying again, because you crapped yourself in public; you’re quite done here.

4 Likes

Children are dying. This policy must be ended immediately and we must keep the pressure on until it is. What is sad is more children will die because of this policy until it’s ended.

7 Likes

Then you don’t understand my opinion, because it certainly has nothing to do with an erroneous belief that CBP are not acting like scumbags.

You don’t understand. Misery and death are the whole point of the policy. The idea is that maximum cruelty will make desperate people believe that it’s better to be murdered at home than to try to legally enter the United States.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.