90-year-old fills in $90,000 crossword art, now claims copyright

Not only that, but you’ll get a reciept with each deposit. Make sure you can document your fluid intak/output, or risk paying the difference… in blood.

1 Like

Ah, the “I defaced it so now I own it” line.

All oposing council has to do is write “No, you don’t” on her complaint and then they’ll own the new “collaborative art” of the complaint. Problem solved.

5 Likes

Which? Asking $90000 for a picture of a crossword, or expecting money for filling it in? Or both?

4 Likes

German always has a word for it. Perhaps Germany should sue other countries for using all the philosophical ideas invented by Germans without attribution.

I won’t mention which ones Trump is using without attribution, out of deference to Mike Godwin.

Er, see my observation just above. Germany got there first on an awful lot of things, about the only thing the English speaking world really beat them to was the mass liberation of large parts of the Earth from the current occupants.

4 Likes

This is exactly what the artist wanted. If they are still alive they are probably delighted. Copyright law excluded, she has a point. The piece was finally completed.

8 Likes

Darn. I wish I had thought of this before accepting that plea-bargain. I’m sure I could have convinced the court that putting the subject of the Mona LIsa in a swimsuit only increased the painting’s value and recognition.

4 Likes

Clearly both. I think it always takes 2 acts, the classic being murdering your parents and then begging clemency as an orphan.

8 Likes

Today in “modern art is fucking stupid”…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that just take the cake.

But urinals already have cakes.

10 Likes

Real chutzpah is sending someone to prison for revealing you have nuclear weapons, then continuing to refuse to admit that you do so you can ignore the UN.

7 Likes

Not having read the complaint, I can only imagine this is based on a moral rights claim, a common right in different European countries.

From wikipedia:
Moral rights are rights of creators of copyrighted works generally recognized in civil law jurisdictions and, to a lesser extent, in some common law jurisdictions. They include… the right to the integrity of the work. The preserving of the integrity of the work bars the work from alteration, distortion, or mutilation. Anything else that may detract from the artist’s relationship with the work even after it leaves the artist’s possession or ownership may bring these moral rights into play. Moral rights are distinct from any economic rights tied to copyrights. Even if an artist has assigned his or her copyright rights to a work to a third party, he or she still maintains the moral rights to the work…

So she’s claiming a moral right on the derivative work (the crossword with her words). Since the museum restored the piece, it mutilated her work.

1 Like

So, my new plan to get rich quick is to sneak a can of spray paint into a celebrated art museum. Once all those masterpieces are “collaborations” with me, I’m set for life!

5 Likes

don’t forget the threshold of originality in German copyright law - a work is only copyrightable if it has “individuality”. I doubt a filled field in a crossword puzzle can be regarded as the author’s own intellectual creation

1 Like

Maybe the artist and the museum is in on the legal process to get even more publicity. If the crossword was worth $90.000 before when few had heard of it, what is it worth now?

3 Likes

You really need to understand the CONTEXT of modern art to fully appreciate it.

1 Like

And the middle bit of Martian. QED.

#NotAllModernArt ?

2 Likes

In court she pulls off the rubber mask and reveals… It’s Damien Hirst!

3 Likes

FTFY. 

8 Likes