A $15 "Minimum viable computer"

Originally published at: A $15 "Minimum viable computer" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I am not super sure about the split keyboard, reminds me of the N-gage way too much I think. I do have my pocket chip someplace that pretty much does the same thing. Keyboard sucked on it too. I paid closer to $49 though but it does have pico-8 on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, $15 factory cost. Direct to consumer would be a little more - maybe $20, maybe $30. Retail is 4x - 5x factory cost so it would be $60 in stores. He also doesn’t include shipping and that can be a buck or two per unit, by ship. Yes, I’m available for parties!

2 Likes

320x240 was the resolution of the alphanumeric TV display that my first homebrew M6800 computer had in 1978. It is usable in the sense that I used it, but you wouldn’t want to use it.

8 Likes

You lucky guy!
All I could get in Italy for my 6502 homebrew (a couple years later) was a 6847 controller, with a stunning 256×192 resolution.

Uphill both ways, and snowing. Ça va sans dire…

2 Likes

Very Shadowrun-esque.

2 Likes

How can something that run Doom not run a GUI? You could run full featured GUIs on 64 K, 1 MHz machines

1 Like

I don’t see “custom PCB” as a bonus. Much better if it can be built from standard off the shelf parts for repair and improving.

Also worth noting from the website:
"Low Price!

It costs $10,000 USD to build one of these
The ten thousandth one costs $15"

Definitely not a DIY project for my budget!

Heck, Doom arguably IS a GUI. Remember this?

But yeah, I can’t imagine how this thing wouldn’t run X with a keyboard-only window manager.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.