A 7-year-old boy was this year's highest paid YouTube star, making $22 million in one year

This was already done back in the 80’s

6 Likes

I didn’t read the article(s), so I could be wrong, but I’m guessing they (parents) are the owners of the channel, etc… so… it’s not really his money in the first place?

Of course, they could still be great people, etc…

2 Likes

My daughter gets to watch a few minutes of YouTube kids, supervised, each day. Occasionally she comes across Ryan’s channel and she enjoys it as a change from the colouring-in, unboxing and dressing up videos on there.

He is usually playing with a highly engaged parent in some harmless, creative game - he comes across as a nice, decent kid who interacts well with other people, and his rapport with his mum is pretty nice to see.

There’s loads that could go wrong here, obviously - but just because he has a LOT of viewers it doesn’t mean it’s awful content that is somehow destroying him before our very eyes.

Use your power wisely Ryan and you’ll be fine.

9 Likes

I definitely prefer to believe that until proven otherwise. We tend hear about the shit shows but never about the quiet successes where people in this situation live happily ever after.

2 Likes

It is a bit disheartening to see someone that young make 30 times more in a year, than I have in over 25 years of employment.

But, I can’t complain as I make enough to keep a roof over my head.

2 Likes

A 7-year old expending pretty much zero effort and hawking products for a bunch of big toy companies gets $22m, yet the majority of people in the world work their asses off every hour of the day and still struggle to get by. This is why I hate humans. Exactly this.

4 Likes

At least he’s an outlier, there aren’t many like that. Unlike the Wall Street pirates who game the entire system of our economy to put sums like that in the pockets of many thousands whose chief asset is shamelessness.

5 Likes

22 million dollars in a single year? That’s not a modestly successful child celebrity, that’s an insanely successful child celebrity. We’re talking talking Megan Kelly money here. And I think this kid deserves the money way more than Megan Kelly does.

4 Likes

Unless he got to play floor piano with Robert Loggia it matters not.

2 Likes

Guess I need to pivot my toddlers to video

4 Likes

Internet access for Ryan will be highly restricted. Can risk the kid seeing this:

2 Likes

What’s his secret? “Well, my parents already had a shit-ton of money to blow on five new toys every time I felt like stepping in front of a camera,” said the endearingly naive seven-year-old.

5 Likes

Sport player’s salaries freak me out much more than this little fellow’s good fortune.

2 Likes

You don’t want them to be good parents?

I agree this makes me weep for the world. so much struggle and disproportionate wealth distribution. it is sickening and disheartening.

oh, there’s always a reason to complain! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and if not you can complain about the lack of a reason to complain. lol.

3 Likes

That “Russian children’s animation” (Masha and the Bear) is hugely popular in Europe even outside of Russia. I’ve travelled extensively and almost everywhere I see Masha and the Bear toys, Masha and the Bear books, Masha and the Bear balloons, and posters advertising live-action Masha and the Bear stage events. As further evidence of its popularity, I’ve seen absolutely scads of bootlegs and counterfeits (“Marsha and the Bear”, etc.) in village markets. I’m sure the show has been dubbed into English too. Maybe it’s not popular in North America, or wherever you’re from, but it’s certainly a big thing over here.

3 Likes

Uh, this post seems to be missing the Guillotine Watch tag?

Kids can be made wards of the state and re-educated and turned right thinking. They can be guillotined later if they don’t knuckle under. Or abused by the party elite. Probably both.

Mexico. Kids are crazy for Masha y Oso in Mexico.

Who is an adorable sign of the apocalypse? You are! You’re an adorable sign of the apocalypse. Yes, you are.

1 Like

Somehow I think his endless stream of money will dry up pretty quickly once he’s no longer a cute-as-a-button 7 year old. Ask Mason Reese how that works!

2 Likes