A brief history of the recycling lies told by the plastics industry

Stuff it in your walls for extra insulation. :wink:

2 Likes

… clearly I should just hoard those items in my house instead — and fret about what I, as an individual, should do with them — instead of the recyclers fixing their process :thinking:

1 Like

OTOH what is the carbon footprint of making the glass and then moving all that heavy (compared to plastic) glass around?

1 Like

In California where cities no longer accept plastic films (bags and wrappers), the scam was most recently “empowering consumers” by directing us to bring these to select Sprouts stores from which the bins disappeared a few months ago. Now Target is taking up the slack. I called Target to confirm. At all stores in California that has recycling stations, they will take plastic film.

I didn’t get into what exactly they do with it, whether the film needs to have the paper labels cut out or cannot have any adhesives etc. and they certainly didn’t give me any detailed instructions either. But, the bins are there in a bunch of the stores now.

1 Like

That’s going to depend on a lot of things, as well as where the transportation gets its energy. (Aluminum cans make more sense in a lot of ways.)

The nice thing about glass and aluminum, is they are actually able to be re-used.

2 Likes

can we go back to the early 1900’s and NOT tear out all the street cars and replace them with buses??
gasoline and it’s by product of plastics have done such major harm to our environment. factor in the financial cost to our transportation infrastructure… such a monumental wrong “turn”.

1 Like

think about how many people are staying every night in a hotel in 'merica.
the industry standard is to use single serving bottles for shampoo, conditioner along with plastic utensils if they serve a breakfast (sometimes they even still use Styrofoam plates or cups for gods sake). Every day of every year. why there isn’t a government mandate to stop that shit is beyond me.

Although one thing people often overlook is that a lot of the inks and dyes used in modern packaging are also oil-based.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.