A carpenter used Apple AirTags to find his stolen tools — along with 15,000 others (video)

They are dragging that old trope out for the T**** verdict. They are complaining about the resources Alvin Bragg has wasted prosecuting T**** when he and the NYPD should be fighting violent crime in NYC - except NYC has one of the lowest crime rates among major cities in the world much less in the US.

13 Likes

totally. I think this is what tweaked me.

7 Likes

Although, thinking about it, perhaps that isn’t the presumption - maybe it’s more basic than that, that when a particular theft is less than $X, they can’t justify/bother with investigating it (so they also won’t uncover even the most glaringly obvious signs it’s connected with other thefts). Theft by strangers is generally really hard to solve, so the cops just don’t get involved if they can help it.

It really feels like, with stolen good cases, the cops are just waiting for collections of stolen goods to fall into their laps (e.g. as a result of incidents like this, or incidental to arresting someone, traffic stops, etc.) in order to actually have any hope of resolving them. Which means policing turns into the joke about the drunk looking for his car keys under the street lamp - not because he dropped them there, but that’s where the light is. Cops focus on harassing certain populations - i.e. with traffic stops, stop and frisk, etc, - in the hopes of uncovering crimes, not because that’s where the crimes are occurring, but because that’s the easy (no blow-back) thing they wanted to do anyways. It plays in to the cops attitude about repeat offenders.

Also I wonder about stats and clear-up rates - a big theft ring is notable, an equal dollar amount of “unconnected” thefts isn’t. That means there’s pressure to solve the first, and as a result there’s a motivation to make thefts unconnected (until some key evidence falls into the cops’ laps and they have a chance to solve it).

3 Likes

6 Likes

I bet the police didn’t even issue a warning about rogue power tools, joyriding in stolen cars.

5 Likes

This kind of supposedly low-level crime has a disproportionate effect.

It’s a horrid crime which robs a worker of their means of trade, immediately throws them off whatever job they are doing, damages their vehicle, increases their insurance, and so on and on.

Plus the psychological effects.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.