A crystal ball started this home fire

They could have saved money on the crystal ball.

5 Likes

Arson investigation has a horrible history where much of the “science” was debunked in the fallout of the Lime Street Fire in 1990. I would have hoped it had improved in the subsequent 30 years.

Thankfully, Gerald Lewis was cleared for the Lime Street Fire, but Cameron Todd Willingham was found guilty using the same trash forensics. He not only lost his three daughters in the fire. He was jailed for 12 years and put to death. I can’t remember where I came across the story, it was likely this New Yorker article about it.

2 Likes

I know my first shaving mirror had the same warning. Late 80s, so it’s not really a new phenomenon :wink:

1 Like

Huh, I guess it’s just the first such mirror I’ve ever bought. Cool that there are still new things to learn about the mundane. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Architects designing concave mirrored buildings apparently never buy those mirrors either ;-D

3 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder if a vehicle history search would turn this up: Damage caused by skyscraper.

:wink:

I can’t imagine a damage code for that.

1 Like

See - the woo peddlers have been saying for years that crystals focus the energy. It just takes balls, is all.

1 Like

Also to avoid the gaze of Sauron.

palantir

4 Likes

Indeed, ya never know.

3 Likes

It’s certainly possible. But I don’t see another table that it might have lived on, and the burned out couch is still sunward of the table it sits on in the photos. The crystal ball would also need to be very close to the ignition point (like a couple of inches), unless it is made of some exotic low-refraction material. That’s the part that makes me most skeptical.

But I’m only skeptical - not denying that the stated cause is possible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.