A drug dealer sharing a photo of cheese online also shared his fingerprints, leading to arrest

Originally published at: A drug dealer sharing a photo of cheese online also shared his fingerprints, leading to arrest | Boing Boing

2 Likes

how was the cheese though?

14 Likes

Fingerprint matching has always been a racket. I betcha there’s no scientific validation for this cheesy procedure.

5 Likes

I call bullshit. My Samsung can’t always match my fingerprint when I touch the sensor, but they can pull and match fingerprints from a compressed and blurry photo. Color me skeptical.

6 Likes

Are we sure this isn’t just copaganda and the fingerprint from cheese photo story a BS parallel construction to cover inadmissible evidence?

9 Likes

He should have just posted it on
dark-web

8 Likes

cheese_stands_alone-01

11 Likes

I guess drug dealing is like hiking and camping: leave no trace.

6 Likes

First constipation (or explosive diarrhea in some people), now narcing to the cops? Is there no end to cheese’s treachery?

2 Likes

Unclear from TFA is any indication of how a photo of the suspect’s hand holding some cheese links him to Actual Criminal Activity. I guess if the account is known to be involved in Said Activity and the photo allows them to identify the account holder? Anyway, great reporting, CNN.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that it didn’t have to be a 100% confidence in this case. It just had to be enough of a match to give them probable cause to track down the user of that account, and once they had him they could figure out if it was the guy they were looking for.

1 Like

Apparently, aged Stilton doesn’t contain much lactose.

3 Likes

What are you in for, mate?
Drug dealing.
How’d they nick you?
Well…

5 Likes

I thought the love of cheese only got this guy in trouble…

10 Likes

Regardless of the quality of the photo he pleaded guilty so the ploy worked.

3 Likes

FTFY.

8 Likes

The implication is that they already had his dabs on record and this photo identified him as the owner of the drug-dealing account.

3 Likes

I wonder when they too his mug shot did they ask him to “say, Cheese”!

5 Likes

Nah, they have access to cutting-edge tech like this.

1 Like

6 Likes