A flowchart for arguing with science denialists

If the holy land was literally submerged, how many times the current glacial load would be needed to explain the missing water?

(added “literally”)

I think there was a big flood in the Black Sea region, somewhere, when some land separating the low areas from a higher-positioned Mediterranean Sea was breached. That may have been The Flood.

Another possibility is that it was some flooding in the Sumerian area described in the Epic of Gilgamesh, a lot of which was apparently later plagiarized and now is known as the Bible.

3 Likes

I’ve no doubt that there were numerous flooding events that collectively anchor that tale in the cultures that told it.

I meant it as a challenge to the modern literalist - they must either believe that the middle east was physically lowered beneath the sea or that the sea rose hundreds of metres - so pick one!

Either a magical Earth movement that left no geological trace, or a magical rising of sea levels that left no water behind.

4 Likes

And in both cases, insisting on being created by some entity while glossing over what created the entity.

1 Like

Don’t be silly!

Everything worked by magic back then, and thus requires no explanation.

Is there any explanation why today’s world doesn’t work by magic?

Is science only effective now because some ancient woman in a garden didn’t do what she was told?

4 Likes

No, no, no. It’s because Prometheus stole fire from Mt Olympus and gave it to man.

Man that movie was awful.

1 Like

Whichever it is, I’m confident that once we acknowledge the one true myth, science can function without magic justification

True. But that’s not important right now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.