Handbook for fighting climate-denialism

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Really awesome.

I’m glad someone took the time to do this, but I have to say I’m not optimistic about it doing a lot of good. Denialists are generally not likely to be convinced of anything they don’t want to believe by empirical evidence, and, in my experience, are prone to simply repeating a lie louder when confronted with incontrovertible evidence that it’s false.

9 Likes

i hope it is a really thick handbook, i know a few people that need to be whacked over the head with it.

10 Likes

Is there one of these for the anti-vaccine crazies!!!

1 Like

It’s not about convincing denialists - it’s about preventing them from fooling the unwary, about clearing the intentional obfuscation and “doubt factory” strategy that they use to continue The Great Despair.

7 Likes

i wouldn’t be so sanguine about this. this article talks about how science education typically gives people better tools for fitting information into their worldview–

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/05/science-education-wont-solve-climate-change

this article discusses how the phrasing of the ipcc’s reports muddies the waters about climate change–

and this is a link to a chemistry blog i read and their reaction to both climate change the “climategate” controversy from a few years ago. if you read through both the post and the comments, you can see that a group of people with a great deal of scientific education consider climate science junk science on a par with homeopathy and that the scientists who wrote the emails should all have been fired–

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/12/01/climategate_and_scientific_conduct.php

all of which makes me less than hopeful that this will do much good but more power to them.

I was raised by my grandfather and I’ve learned many great values from him that I carry with me. I am thankful for having him in my life. He also happens to be a climate change denier. He watches Fox News every night like its his religion. Sometimes it’s hard to keep my mouth shut when I hear him spouting off false information about the climate but then I think to myself what’s the point? Can you really change an old man from his ways? All I want to do is have a beer with him and talk about airplanes. As long as politics don’t come up it’s all fine and dandy. It’s sad because it’s my generation who has to deal with all this shit.

3 Likes

Sad to admit, but the simian from outer space has it right.

I was listening today to an NPR story about the Texas State Board of Education, and how they insist the Founding Fathers were influenced by, among the standard philosophers and Enlightenment thinkers, Moses.

I don’t mean to insult any Texans, but the Texas Board of Education sounds like ground zero for budding climate deniers. When someone spends their entire formative years with wrong ideas, it’s really hard to get them to step back and accept change.

Try this short one by Avicenna: http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongods/2012/11/26/immunity-easy-peasy-lemon-squeezie/

1 Like

Well, that and the fact we already hit some of the major tipping points a decade ago. Even if we did everything possible right now, we would still have a minimum 2-degree Celsius rise by 2050. Given the glacial rate of response thus far I have to assume that we are, on the whole, pretty much already fucked. The best we can really hope for at this point is simply survival of the human race. I’ll be dead before the shit really hits the fan, but I do feel sorry for the next few generations surviving the transition…

5 Likes

The concern I have is about the return of the ice-age, something which seems to happen on a relatively short timescale; the entire northeast of North America, features such as Cape Cod, are all products of the receding ice sheet which covered everything down to Boston just 16 to 20 thousand years ago. The ice ages seem to come in 50-thousand year cycles, and they are far more devastating than the small temperature rises predicted by current climate change models.

If we can prevent the next ice age, I think that is the most important goal for Western civilization.

Have you considered stopping the tide?

2 Likes

Remember there are two kinds of deniers. Some are professionals, who know they’re lying and are paid to lie and they were probably tobacco defenders 10 years ago. If the paycheck is juicy, some people will deliver any message at all.

Most of them are folks who just love to troll liberals. They don’t really care if the arctic wilderness gets exploited - they just love watching other people get mad when they say, “drill, baby, drill.” Just like Philadelphia will always have a few Cowboys fans - just to get a reaction.

3 Likes

Not touching the rest of it, but this was unique to me. You’re saying that the most devastating thing for the planet is a hypothetical future ice age…but only the Western world should fight it and be saved. You do know the planet is round, not flat, right? (That’s not a rhetorical question: denialism in general has a tendency to run deep in many people.)

1 Like

I’m aware of the contrarian contingent, but I don’t think they’re any more likely to listen to reason.

From almost three years ago, so it’s probably obsolete.

Carbon emissions ‘will defer Ice Age’

In the journal Nature Geoscience, they write that the next Ice Age would begin within 1,500 years - but emissions have been so high that it will not.

“At current levels of CO2, even if emissions stopped now we’d probably have a long interglacial duration determined by whatever long-term processes could kick in and bring [atmospheric] CO2 down,” said Luke Skinner from Cambridge University.

Dr Skinner’s group - which also included scientists from University College London, the University of Florida and Norway’s Bergen University - calculates that the atmospheric concentration of CO2 would have to fall below about 240 parts per million (ppm) before the glaciation could begin.

You’ll have to use your google-fu to actually read the letter, though.

P. C. Tzedakis,J. E. T. Channell,D. A. Hodell. Kleiven L. C. Skinner. Determining the natural length of the current interglacial.Nature Geoscience 5, 138–141 (2012) doi:10.1038/ngeo1358

1 Like

And from this year

Carmen Herrero, Antonio García-Olivares,Josep L. Pelegrí. Impact of anthropogenic CO2 on the next glacial cycle. Climatic Change (2014) 122:283–298 DOI 10.1007/s10584-013-1012-0

… The next 20 kyr will have an abnormally high greenhouse effect which, according to the CO2 values, will lengthen the present interglacial by some 25 to 33 kyr. This is because the perturbation of the current interglacial will lead to a delay in the future advance of the ice sheet on the Antarctic shelf, causing that the relative maximum of boreal insolation found 65 kyr after present (AP) will not affect the developing glaciation. Instead, it will be the following insolation peak, about 110 kyr AP, which will find an appropriate climatic state to trigger the next deglaciation.

1 Like

Really interesting; thanks for finding those links.

Normally I wouldn’t bother with a garden-variety denier, but the phrase “Western civilization” hit me. I wonder how many of them have this same bias as part of their belief system.

I see, so it’s really interesting that we might be able to prevent an ice age which is, in geological terms, about to happen in the blink of an eye, , e.g., a mile of ice covering Boston, within 1500 years, but a few degrees of warming is a world-ending disaster?