A guy, a beer and a giant tip

Me too! And, me too (Baltimore).

1 Like

I totally agree with your sentiment.

The fact that this is news, however, highlights the precarious position hospitality and other cash/tip economy workers are put in.

For me it’s a feel good story that has an ancillary benefit of making people think about what a tip means to a worker in a position that offers little to no advancement.

1 Like

Good luck with that? Many people take having table service in a restaurant for granted and wait staff as servants who should be humble and grateful for whatever change is left for them. After all, if they wanted better pay, they’d pull themselves up by their boot-straps, etc.

1 Like

Not wanting to generalize but we find those people to be privileged white North American tourists (not Canadians!). Lucky enough to work in an establishment where we are encouraged to politely and respectfully tell those people to fuck off.

Those people eat out here in the States, too.

2 Likes

I spent my formative years in northern Maine working at my dad’s bar/restaurant. We got a lot of Canadian clientele, and while I don’t remember them taking service for granted, they were generally lousy tippers. I remember one night a fellow server (who’s day job was grade school art teacher, so, you know, awesome person) chased a table of 10 Canadians out to the parking lot asking what she’d done wrong because they left her a $5 tip after a 2 hour sitting resulting in a bill of over $300 (lots of rounds, there.) Our tip system is bunko, but it’s what the workers are subjected to. Tourists who don’t know, or pretend not to, are a hardship on them.

1 Like

Laurel over here. Howdy neighbor! :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’m sinking right now!

3 Likes