A handy guide to choosing safer sunscreens, and 9 surprising things about them

EWG is a terrible source. Bad science, bad methods, bad reporting.

I donā€™t see what that belief has to do with religion. Letā€™s just say Iā€™m a bit biased against a lot of newer medical inventions. We are so clueless still about how the world, much less our own bodies work (think microbiome for one) and the track record hasnā€™t exactly beenā€¦ promising. I prefer to base my decision on the past several thousand years of evolution. And some of us will get cancer. From wearing sunscreen and from not. And Antinous, what youā€™re doing makes perfect sense. Itā€™s just not The Right Thing To Do, for everyone.

Have you ever seen in magazines the little quiz about skin cancer risk? Are you blond or red haired? Do you have green or blue eyes? Did you suffer severe (actually I was hospitalized) sunburns as a child? Did you have an outdoor job as a teen? Etc? I answer yes to every question on those tests. However, regardless of the EWG or any other group, I chose to avoid all sunscreens a few years ago when I and all three of my children were having severe ā€œunspecified dermatitisā€ and I was diagnosed with severe Vit. D deficiency. I have been sun burned much less in recent years. Not because of any ā€œdangersā€ of sun screen, but because I changed my behavior. I wear hats. I wear long sleeved cotton shirts. I garden in the shade, or wait till evening. I think sunscreen is a crutch which encourages people to be unwise. Did I bring a non-nano hippy sunscreen to the BWCA on my recent trip? Yes, and though I did get a slight burn on the back of my hands and the crease of my elbow, I think I did okay. My Vit. D levels are now in the normal range, and we resolved all of our rashes. So, we have to wear dorky hats and more clothes than others. Beats having a damn rash all summer.

2 Likes

Well, see the breakdown products for the sunscreens from TiOx to sweetbabyrayconium 7,3-cirtimaplebecuenine and 3% Avobenzone, 10% Octocrylene and 5% Oxybenzone (embedded in Isodecyl Neopentanoate, VA/Butyl (eugh) Maleate/Isobornyl Acrylate Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Menthyl Lactate hereafter the ā€˜other, other BBā€™) and weep, because if you didnā€™t go for a muddy and shower that stuff off every 1.33 hours in the pool or 2 in the field you are taking some (non-UV) uncontroversial harm. But harm you could have sprinklered or sweat off, I supposeā€¦

Xeni, this is much much more fun (and better HTML) than picking cold medicine or chemo diets, and even if the ā€˜Euro Suncreams Are Superiorā€™ bit reads a bit like runoff from a patent medicine kibbutz, not bad on science. (Personal! Political! Yet they do not want to get into my junk!)

[Holds 3-fold transflective screen out to read itā€¦ Ah, I want the Horn of Africa Complexion sunscreen in ā€˜Recapitulating The Scarface Coke Desk Scene,ā€™ please. What?]

1 Like

And while a burn is to be avoided (I use sunscreen for unusual exposure to avoid burning), we are seeing vitamin D deficiencies because the compulsive use of sunscreen.

Just put on a damn hat.

I, too, am so white that whenever I want to cheer up a friend, I just compare my arm to theirs and they magically know they are more tan than me. Itā€™s true that most people are more tan than me, even dead people, and if it makes someone happy then I will use my paleness for good.

I actually get sunburned from just driving around in a car. My husband has learned to take sunblock with us everywhere because I am so easy to burn. No matter how I might question the effectiveness of sunscreen against cancer, it definitely makes it possible for me to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes.

Iā€™ve been following the recent research on Vitamin D deficiency and some of the harmful environmental effects of sunscreen, therefore, with interest. Even with my fair skin I try to spend some time in the sun after midday. Iā€™m not sure what I think about sunscreen anymore, except that I hope that they develop or approve some new ones soon that are better than the current crop.

On brands - so far the Badger Balm zinc formula my hubbie discovered is doing well.

I donā€™t even burn easily. I just go straight to the basal cell carcinoma.

LMFAO

(not long enough - filler text here)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.