A hospital dumps a Black man on a sidewalk with tubes still attached. He is found unresponsive

Originally published at: A hospital dumps a Black man on a sidewalk with tubes still attached. He is found unresponsive | Boing Boing

13 Likes

(at :37) Yeah, pretty much.

By the way, she grew up in Georgia.

13 Likes

What. The. Actual. FUCK.

61 Likes

What’s particularly stupid about this is that they know they are required to continue care for this man. It’s just that filing the paperwork is hard, so they dumped him. Shitweasels.

43 Likes

I most certainly hope that the gentleman recovers, and sues the hospital, the administrators who clearly made that decision, and the ‘doctors’ who violated their Hippocratic oath to DO NO HARM that signed off on it, into the bedrock.

Or his kids.

If someone did that to my mother? well… I’d be typing this from a jail cell, and that’s all I’ll say about it.

53 Likes

Greatest health care system on the planet /s

51 Likes

My prediction?

He will die. It will have been a direct result of his being denied care, even if temporarily while he lay on the sidewalk.

It will be considered unfortunate and unavoidable, and no-one will be arraigned for even manslaughter, let along negligence causing injury.

23 Likes

One wonders aloud “where is the fucking bottom”…

51 Likes

I hope the doctors and nurses that OKd their release get their licenses revoked and the administrators of the hospital lose their jobs. This is not only inhumane, they left that man to die and that is not an exaggeration.

39 Likes

What part of this don’t y’all get? He had no money. He had to die. Oath, shmoath. Gimme a dolla.

23 Likes

The American health care system is completely upside down, broken and insane. From almost everywhere else in the world we look at you and boggle at the pure, unadulterated clusterfuck that you call health care.

We have issues here in Canada and in other places, minor things that your media and HMO shills will trumpet to the moon, but this is on another level. These guys are losing the right to provide health care.

33 Likes

WE KNOW THIS, ALL TOO WELL.

40 Likes

“That’s just not how we treat people here in this city or this country.”

Oh yes it is! Welcome to 3rd world healthcare.

35 Likes

We can only provide the best care with the cooperation and consent of the patient.

“This patient chose not to consent to being wealthy enough to afford our attention, so he consented to leave for being poor. Our wallets…er, hands were tied.”

27 Likes

Sure, but did he call the Solution Center?

26 Likes

Only health system - 'coz it doesn’t care that much (if they suspect nobody’s gonna pay for you)

3 Likes

At one point in the mid-90s, I actually sat at a table in a restaurant in China defending my decision to pursue “American studies” by saying that though there were egregious flaws (like supporting the Taliban, Grenada, arming death squads in Central America), that there was some hope for the Nascent Idea of individual liberty, rights of man, and all that shit. I think I had been rolling Thomas Paine and smoking it.

But, you know, fuck that, fuck all this shit. I’m about ready to give up and just go bust heads.

23 Likes

I hope he sues the shit out of Piedmont and runs them the fuck out of business. Let Emory or some other system take it over.

28 Likes

How is he discharged with a catheter and taps in his veins? That can’t be the right protocol even for people without money. I don’t have any other excuse for this other than they thought the man would simply show back up in the morgue 24 hours later… problem solved?? But of course wouldn’t a medical examiner be interested to know how these events occured? How did they think that they weren’t going to be sued?
What the fuck is going on in this hospital?

41 Likes

I just hope they don’t wind up killing him…

The patient, whose name wasn’t released, was taken by ambulance right back to the hospital’s emergency room.

Is there no other hospital they could’ve taken him to? Did I misread this?? If somebody tries to kill me, don’t take me back to their place! :woman_facepalming:t4:

35 Likes