A house filled with urine, feces, rotten meat, and dead cats gets offer frenzy at $592,500

Originally published at: A house filled with urine, feces, rotten meat, and dead cats gets offer frenzy at $592,500 | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I imagine there’s an added frenzy here of people desperate for a “deal” in an inflated market.

A frenzy that’s likely driving the price higher and whomever winds up with it is probably going to have some remorse once the dust settles.

6 Likes

Saw one listed today, only $400k for a castle in Indiana. If I owned it I’d host a permanent ren faire.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6900-Dave-Carr-Rd_Charlestown_IN_47111_M96567-58375

10 Likes

I see a lot of spray paint, and carpeting that needs to be removed, and drywall that should be replaced, but beyond that, I’m failing to see how this is considered a complete disaster.

Do people in CO tolerate way less for habitation than, say, a college student in Pittsburgh? Because I’ve stayed in apartments that looked worse than that, by far.

3 Likes

I wonder if the shit stained walls, the locker full of rotten meat and dead cats in the bathroom have anything to do with it? That amount of work alone will set you back $30k off the top of my head paying full price or higher is dumb IMO. $500k + doesn’t sound like a deal, but I don’t know the market.

The Hudson Valley went through this price spike as well. I tried buying a house, offered asking, but then was outbid by some asshole who offered $250k over asking AND said no inspection was needed. That’s how crazy it is out there.

It’s dipping now that people have realized that they have to return to work in NYC or settle for the average salary for the area of $35k/ year.

Fools and their money are easily separated.

3 Likes

The video mentions that there’s rot in the exterior woodwork, and that after the landlord left the state a decade ago, it appeared the property manager hadn’t been there in as long. So I wonder about the overall state of repair of the place. I can’t imagine an inspection will find anything good.

4 Likes

Location, location, location.

1 Like

… “The Aristocrats” ?

13 Likes

Now that I’m thinking about it, yeah, I get that. When I heard “Colorado Springs” I didn’t anticipate hearing “wood rot” because I’ve got no idea how that happens in high plains desert.

Good catch. But still, this is a handyperson’s dream house, back here in PA. Not for that price, though, but any person in my area with decent construction experience wouldn’t turn down a chance to work on a house built in 1993.

I mean, most houses around me still have terra cotta sewer pipes and aluminum/knob and tube wiring, FFS.

7 Likes

Next time I sell anything on Kijiji, I’ll insist they smell the item first. No particular reason, I’ll just say that is a condition of the sale… smell it… yeah, that’s it…smell it good.

1 Like

Love the reiteration at the end

DO NOT GO ON BACK DECK. DO NOT OPEN FREEZER IN BASEMENT.

This one was listed at 500k here in Boston and serves as another great example of what housing is like right now in some cities:

The listing was taken down after 10 days, so I’ll be interested to see what it ended up going for.

12 Likes

A house filled with urine, feces, rotten meat, and dead cats gets offer frenzy at $592,500

It just screams “dream home”…

7 Likes

“Evict me bitch.”

Well, that explains it all right there.

4 Likes

We just sold our little 2/1 bungalow in Joshua Tree. The tenants declined to purchase, so it went out on the MLS. It sold $25k over asking in 3 hours, and that was site unseen too. It’s beyond crazy, and well into astronomical numbers for anything standing with a roof on it in Southern California.

8 Likes

Eh, I’ve got tee shirts older than that! That makes it sound old, a close friend of mine has a house that’s about the same age as the American Constitution…

3 Likes

I meant “1993 is considered recent and you’re not likely to have death by misadventure if you attempt to replace an outlet.”

The last place I lived in was built in 1870, the kitchen wasn’t wired for electricity, and the original outhouse (which was still standing) was used as a toolshed.

4 Likes

I live in el dorado county here in Northern California and things are selling like crazy. Most properties sell 1st day, cash, inspections waived, or if financed - with appraisal waived (make up difference in cash); and with 95% going to bay area buyers.

We bought last August and our house supposedly gained 225k in value. Shit is nuts!

We helped MIL purchase about .25 mile away and she got lucky with only offering something like 40k over list. Sellers didn’t want to deal with open houses or a bunch of people touring the house so we got lucky.

We bought our first house in 2012 for a steal and sold it right before the surge in house prices (and still nearly doubled our home value) and used proceeds to buy our current MUCH more expensive house. Never in a million years would I ever have expected to pay as much as we did but such is life if you want to live in Northern California with a good school district.

I just hope that this Jefferson state bullshit never takes off because it will tank our land values and turn our schools into Christian fundamentalist indoctrination centers (that actually don’t preach Christian values like the Beatitudes (you know things Christ-dude actually taught))

7 Likes

Were the tools kind’a crappy?

12 Likes

Locked safe in basement, might contain dank carpet, but who knows?

11 Likes

The listing I saw, among the vandalism and death miasma, also mentioned that the house was in a “landslide pink zone.”

6 Likes