A new bike path directly connects New York City to Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/a-new-bike-path-directly-connects-new-york-city-to-canada.html

3 Likes

To Canada: Because google in the US is not allowed to show specific locations outside the US?

2 Likes

Yes, yes, it snows in Canada. No, it doesn’t snow all year round. “At the end of your ride, stop by the Bike ‘n’ Brr-istas Igloo Café!”

1 Like

So, it connects to Saskatoon and Calgary and Nelson and St. John’s then? What a strange headline. The bike path runs to Buffalo (and hence Niagara Falls) one way, and connects to backroads in the suburbs of Montreal on the other. Why not say NY to Montreal?

7 Likes

Fully open and operational despite a closed border?

6 Likes

If anyone is feeling inspired, but can’t check out the NY trail, here are some options:

Some of the best bike trails are converted railroads. Because of the need for gentle grade and access to water, they often followed rivers, so the trails today are very scenic. Several near here allow horses (along side the paved trail), bikes, walking/running, and roller-blades.
6 Likes

We live due north of NYC. Many of these railroads were built to service the various industries in upstate NY and there are rail trails snaking all over our area now. Gov Cuomo has made a massive push to fund the modernization and connectivity of these rail trails and provide as much access for pedestrian, horse and bike traffic as possible. Many of them connect via bike lanes in small towns and in a few instances, they have been able to lay trails alongside highways that would otherwise be too dangerous. One can now bike from the train station in Poughkeepsie (echo highway connects to NYC) to Minnewaska (glorious state park) and Mohonk (150 yo nature preserve), both of which attract thousands of visitors and climbers, many of whom used to walk/bike the highway which caused numerous accidents and fatalities every year.

It also resulted in the restoration of our beloved Trestle and completion of the last segment of trail to Kingston.

ETA: Accidentally grabbed a few extra photos in original post. Interestingly, one was of a highly targeted fortune cookie fortune we got a few months ago that is oddly appropriate:

9 Likes

Here I am proud of the trails that connect Madison WI to Freeport Il (https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/badger) or Waukesha WI (https://www.glacialdrumlin.com/). But New York to Montreal is nothing to sniff at.

4 Likes

Rail Trails are a fantastic way to see the countryside. New Zealand has a whole bunch that I’d love to check out once the borders reopen.

6 Likes

My goodness, that trestle is lovely. Glad to see it preserved!

3 Likes

Shhh! Interested parties will be privately notified where the trail begins, and how many of these to bring along as the “recommended gratuity” for their guide…

3 Likes

Make a run for the border! :steam_locomotive: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car:

It is! For years it was under private ownership and only half of the deck was accessible. The land trust purchased it and replaced the complete deck and added ca. 14 additional miles. The architectural review found it was in remarkably great shape for its age (148 yrs). The photo in the wiki page shows the half-deck.

4 Likes

A pity the tracks aren’t still in place so that rail bikes can be used.

2 Likes

There is actually a segment left intact that is used by a scenic railway and the trolley museum. I don’t know if they have rail bikes, but I imagine they would do well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.