A positively beautiful 1979 International Harvester Scout II SE

Yup. Apparently some of the ingredients in the rubber/plastic mixtures smell really tasty for them, especially plasticizers. They found that out when they realised that the type of damage and the number of cases varied between the various makes, types and models of cars in the same areas. IIRC, Opel (then GM, now PSA, sold as Vauxhall in Britain) switched the recipe for their brake hoses quite a while ago.

We’d always just assumed it was road salt that made the brake lines and wiring tasty; didn’t realize that was just seasoning for delicious delicious wiring wrap!

I need to find an old photo of that thing, although this thread will be closed by the time I do.

That sounds like Ernie Bisio Motors… the last Scout dealership in the world. It was still open in the late nineties when I visited with another International enthusiast.

Gorgeous! I yearn for the times when vehicles really had visual identity. They all look like blobs now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.