A positively beautiful 1979 International Harvester Scout II SE

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/30/a-positively-beautiful-1979-in.html

4 Likes

I…
… I had a teacher with one of these.
It broke down all the time.

6 Likes

Maybe thats why it is like a Vanagon?

19 Likes

My grandfather sold and serviced IH combines and tractors (had the only dealership for 100 miles) and was a huge fan of Scouts and it’s full sized cousin - the Travelall

He had a red one and my uncle had a blue one. Literal tanks those things were.

I remember a cross country trip as a wee lad where some faulty wiring under the dash (for the CB radio natch) caught on fire.

11 Likes

When I was in Boy Scouts in the early 1990s a couple of the troop leaders had these. I think they were slightly different model years but both were like a bright orange with white trim (or maybe vice versa). For quite awhile I just thought they called them “Scout” because we usually used them to transport camping gear, and always assumed orange/white was the default color scheme.

5 Likes

I’m so excited - I’ve got one of those - just the same - almost identical!

11 Likes

I’ve had many International vehicles in my life… starting with my father’s and grandfather’s. Then, when I moved to CA, I got a beat-up Scout without air conditioning which I drove from the Bay Area to Phoenix and back. It got hot and needed to be push started at every gas stop, so I would try to choose stations with hills to make the task easier. And when I drove home from Phoenix that summer, I left in the middle of the night, so I wouldn’t be driving through the desert in the heat. After that, I upgraded to a hunter green Travelall which I brought to Burning Man and another playa event. It was such a gas guzzler, that it had two gas tanks.

Me and my first Scout in 1995:
4898728928_e558703959_e

My dad and a friend:
8621736917_5c1d8ff4bb_w

My grandfather on a Cape Cod beach with one of his:
21100330616_7cb31639b7_w

Baby Rusty on the beach (with grandparents and their Scout)!
20939761089_e858037470_w

The Travelall – Black Rock Desert 1999:
12510537_e99253c8d2_o

22 Likes

My family had a 1970-something Ford Econoline like that.

3 Likes

Is no one going to say anything about Lighting McQueen???

2 Likes

I had a friend that had one of those first series Scouts . I opened the hood one day because it had some operational issue, and was shocked to find a turbocharged four cylinder engine. The owner knew nothing of such matters, but apparently it was a stock offering in early production. Those early Scout’s were lots of fun, but I always thought I wouldn’t want to be in an accident in one. Love the Travelall’s too; the body style on yours is my favourite, minimal and functional . Needs to be in orange, though :slight_smile:

7 Likes

which is true for just about every American car from the 70’s.

7 Likes

She hated it.

2 Likes

My very first car I ever owned was a Scout II. That thing was a tank. I’ve never had a car that could match it for not getting stuck in mud, snow, or ice.

I thought about getting another one, but one of my buddies brother’s had one and had to machine parts for it.

I still think fondly of that car and it’s been decades.

6 Likes

I knew a guy in the service who had a TravelAll. He also had parents with a big barn. He also got deployed all over the country at least once or twice a year. At every new post he’d visit all the local junkyards and buy every one he could find to be shipped back.
Last I heard he had over a dozen parts donors ready for whenever his daily driver might need something, which was frequently. He’d call home and ask his Pa to pull whatever he needed and ship it.

5 Likes

Awww, man, we had a purple & white Scout II in VT when I was growing up, and it was rusty enough to be the firewood-gathering truck by the time I was old enough to learn to drive. It was my training vehicle. :slight_smile:

Dad had to reroute the wiring through the interior at an early point because the beavers in our pond nibbled the road salt off too aggressively. Miss that truck.

1 Like

Grew up a couple of miles away from my grandparents waaay back in the sticks in Virginia. My grandfather had an old Scout he used like a tractor. That thing could climb like a mountain goat and had a very tight turning radius. But yeah, best carry some spare parts.

1 Like

I once worked for a company called International Auto Parts - that imported parts for Italian cars.

But the name…

So every month, someone made the honest mistake, and called up saying “I need a carb for ma scout.”

Every month.

I had no idea there was such a market back then.

They sure are cool.

2 Likes

There was an old auto repair shop, that did a lot of classic car work, just around the corner from where I lived in Portland, Oregon. It had bunch of these (and some Travelalls) in its backlot for some reason. There was a Travelall there that’s probably the only vehicle I’ve ever really lusted after, confirmed non-driver that I am. The light vehicles never made it to the UK as far as I know, but for a while my farther had worked as an agricultural salesman selling Harvester International manchines and Uni-mogs. There was a corner of my childhood that was full of HI sales materials so walking past I used to experience a sort of strange alternate universe nostalgia.

They’ve made it over more recently. I’m in the process of doing up a 1959 Metro Mite. That’s a real parts bin special, which I’m certainly adding to!

In Germany apparently car wiring being gnawed by pine martens is enough of a problem that various electrical systems to deter them are popular.