A powerful attacker is systematically calibrating an internet-killing tool

Yo, dawg! I heard you like IPs so we put whois on your whois so you can PI while you IP.

Yes, it would be hugely inconvenient, but IMO not an insurmountable problem.

1 Like

Whois does not give you individual servers. It is also run by he same registrars that run DNS.

2 Likes

If one got the IP address for each URL they used every day, I wonder how many would still work over time. It might be more like the 1990s when a page is hosted by a specific box instead of giant farms with distributed traffic.

I actually prefer a population of people each running their own servers instead of the more regressive broadcast-like recent model of gigantic services supplying content to a mass of consumers.

4 Likes

Whois will give you the nameservers associated with the domain.

1 Like

I like you

3 Likes

afaik one of the largest projects is Freifunk (Wiki), most active in Germany but the software with the mesh-routing is open source and can be used everywhere. The most active community is around Münster with some 3000 nodes (including a few radio links in the dozens km range, the map is nice).

6 Likes

You’ll have to train people to barter for a cow first.

3 Likes

Correct. I was explaining to Popo how it is not a substitute for DNS. I am really not sure why everyone is fixated on DNS anyway. It was not the only point of infrastructure probed in the article.

2 Likes

Ausgezeichnet! Großartig!

2 Likes

Yes, this is why I like to read articles on Boing Boing, too.

I MAY BE A LITTLE BIASED

6 Likes

We can do that on Craigslist… oh, wait a second … d’oh!

1 Like

Don’t worry everyone. They’ve found the culprit…

The problem is not so much that it can’t be overcome, given time. But the goal of cyberwarfare is to cripple an opponent long enough to do material damage to their infrastructure, economy and other internet-dependent services.

It’s not open war yet. At this stage, countermeasures are developed, but there’s always a risk in testing new defenses against an opponent before you absolutely have to, because that gives them a chance to start making plans against it. In all likelihood, one focus of current defense research is developing a shadow internet that can fail soft and weather an all out cyber-war well enough to keep critical services running. Unfortunately, this is likely to be a closed web, which has problematic implications both for public internet freedoms and it’s own ability to be shored up against vulnerabilities through open stress testing.

5 Likes

Help me out here – which branch of the Internet Police would enforce this?

1 Like

What about Tor? That is kind of a shadow net, no? Slower than dialup, but in a pinch it could work…right?

1 Like

That’s a good question I’m unqualified to answer. I know Tor routes it’s DNS requests anonymously, but I don’t know if that would protect it form the kind of DoS attack Schneider is referring to. I too would like to know the answer if anyone here knows :slight_smile:

1 Like

Schneier is also talking abot DoS attacks against other targets. This is not strictly a DNS issue. Also Tor would not mitigate the problem. DNS lookups are done by the tor exit nodes, on behalf of the client.

Tor is a shadow networked piggybacked on top of the existing Intenet. All you would be doing is adding latency.

5 Likes

I’m not sure we are thinking of quite the same thing. Yes, it is true that you can use Tor to access regular sites but there are a bunch of sites that can only be accessed via Tor. Some people call it the Dark Web, but I prefer the name Onion Net since the links used to navigate it are called onion links.

1 Like

The users would enforce this, if they weren’t so gullible.

2 Likes

It’s not so much the registration function as the DNS functions. What we can understand from this by reading between the lines is that the root DNS and similar are the targets.

2 Likes

Betcha a dollar he uses this one as a plot gimmick in a story too.

3 Likes