A powerful attacker is systematically calibrating an internet-killing tool

1 Like

Can you help me out, I haven’t read Bruce’s article–we are talking about application level attacks against core internet services, right?

Short story is DDoS attacks that have been probing core services to see how they respond. Ramping up in intensity, then backing off. Coming back later and starting at the high threshold and ramping up some more. Also some probing into making routing changes and seeing how fast the providers of the services adapt.

6 Likes

Ty. If they are trying to break bgp or route/cidr propagation, there is no easy fix. I wonder if they are using reflection/amplification, and if so should we as a community start actively shunning those services.

(I’ll go read the article in the morn, I had a well deserved cocktail :D)

4 Likes

A tool for shutting down the whole net?

I wonder if they’re accepting donations. Kickstarter maybe? GoFundMe?

I’d love to see this Infernal Machine go up in flames, this Technological Terror manunkind has so mistakenly invested such vast amounts of its life and faith, its personality and sense of self-worth, in.

“You’re all clear, China. Now let’s blow this thing and go home…”

2 Likes

Are… Are you… Are you disappointed?

:smiling_imp:

7 Likes

[dozens of animated gifs]
[will like in half a year for no apparent reason]

6 Likes

The exit nodes need a working DNS resolver and the onion routing between the nodes is based on the underlaying internet infrastructure and works with the AS/provider routing. If one successfully attacks DNS and BGP Tor is down, too.

Additionally the addresses of the exit nodes are by definition in the public domain and can be (D)DoSed directly.

5 Likes

Relax! You’re just reading about the first coming of the independent AI hivemind. It’s just trying to find a voice. Pretty soon it will attempt to convert all matter and energy into browser toolbars.

8 Likes

if america wants to create a war with china they had best relearn semaphore flags and morse code…

4 Likes

Who needs DNS? Don’t you know your own address?

18 Likes

Ah, so those are the dudes who have the muenchen.freifunk.net wifi nodes which suddenly bring my Ingress play to a screeching halt. My only beef is that it is dog-slow, and drops a lot of packages.

2 Likes

I’ve churned a lot more butter since I got access to the Internet… oh, that wasn’t a euphemism…

2 Likes

Maybe they haven’t managed to figure out how to destroy the IP over Avian Carriers protocol ! There may be hope! :relaxed:

1 Like

Silly question: I am a technical know nothing, but isn’t this how the mobile phone network works? No phonebooks, no operators, no directory assistance?

I am old enough to remember when phone books had a function, but as of today my phone book are my friends and human networks. If I need to get hold of someone, I just ask around. Very different from the days beyond.

There’s at least dozens, if not hundreds of carrier-based commands you can send to your network and get data back from. Simply by dialing a special number and hitting “connect”. I’m sure some of them will be equivalent to directory assistance.

I know for a fact that on Verizon, you can get the cell tower ID for what towers you’re connected to by just dialing a number. That’d be useful for connecting locally with people.

C’mon. “Gullible”? Here’s one–1–article from 538.com according to uMatrix:

I get 14 items if I just count the 1’s. That doesn’t have anything to do with gullibility.

Ghost Fleet” for the win.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.