A PR firm claimed Glenn Greenwald would promoting Erik Prince's new smartphone. They forgot he had a Twitter account.

Oh, he was a dick to me on Twitter, too, but fortunately did not make the name connection when I emailed him.

7 Likes

UPDATE: it appears that a Bloomberg reporter reached out to the organizers of DEF CON, who said that they had never invited Greenwald to the event, but that unplugged.com had told the organizers that GG was working for them.

8 Likes

The price tag isn’t even remotely worth the benefit. Also, I’m betting they have backdoors for their own data mining operations. Just get a used android phone and flash it with your own distro of choice. It’s pretty easy these days.

Edit: you wanna know how bad the phone is… Check out this out: MediaTek Dimensity 1200 Processor - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech

It’s 78% slower than most CPUs on the market. LOL

7 Likes

Less. Unlike Truth Social, it’s probably been developed by competent snoops, rather than rotating clowns who have trouble running a Mastodon fork.

8 Likes

So GG is just aligning with far right fascists now, completely openly.

And people will STILL show up to defend him, of course.

10 Likes

Greenwald once called my spouse a fascist on Twitter. She actually takes perverse pride in this, especially seeing how his own alignments turned out.

9 Likes

Ah, yes, right, my bad. So hard to keep track of which monsters in the Blood Monster Family are which :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So, assuming this vaporware ever comes into existence, wouldn’t possession of one mean any crime automatically becomes pre-meditated? He went and bought an encrypted, secured phone! Of course you can be forced to provide passwords and biometrics in many jurisdictions or face indefinite incarceration for contempt of court. The peer-to-peer stuff just means that the FBI plant in your group can authenticate exactly who sent what when, and if the group is buying these in bulk I would hope that would trigger some sort of extra investigation.

Keeping incriminating data off of potentially compromised central servers is more secure, but there’s a reason those servers exist. Phones break, factory reset themselves, and of course there’s always user error and data corruption, and a p2p system means once a phone is lost, so is all its data with no hope of recovery – disastrous whenever coordination and cooperation is plan for the day. “Bob, why’d you leave us?” “Phone died, didn’t know anyone else’s number or real name. Went bowling instead.”

2 Likes

allow “patriots to communicate securely.”

Translation: I’m selling all your data to whatever security services or corporations want it suckers!

4 Likes

This is perfectly secure, and nothing bad can happen to you while you use this product and service.

(That headline is wrong and stupid: it wasn’t ‘hacked’, it was designed, set up, and run by the police themselves as a sting operation from the beginning.)

5 Likes
5 Likes

“How dare journalists ask me if I’m actually doing this and report on asking me instead of asking me!”

Keep huffing that Brain Force, Glem.

1 Like

I assume that Israel has its own supply of bottom-feeding hacks; but when you hear of them in the context of cellphones it’s most commonly in the context of NSO or one of the other outfits established by Unit 8200 alumni who developed a very particular set of skills and an…adversarial…conception of privacy during their time in military signals intelligence before going private sector.

Certainly not the only such vendors in town; but very, very, high on the list of ‘people you don’t want on your phone who may already be there’. Likely to be a lot more competent than the disasters you find in low-rent Chinese android BSPs(I’m not sure if it’s pure cost optimization or a product of an environment where a lot of the intense surveillance is stated policy; but things like ‘not even using TLS when transferring user data back to the mothership’ are still pretty common); but no more certain to be working in your interests.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first time Glenn lied about how he ended up at a conference. He lies about his involvement in that crypto conference all the time too.

EDIT

Well I should say it isn’t surprising because it is extremely suspicious why he is involved in that crypto conference.

3 Likes

I wonder if the FBI got that idea from the plot arc in the third season of The Wire in which the cops get preemptive warrants to tap a bunch of burner phones which they then covertly sell to the criminal conspirators.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.