A PR firm claimed Glenn Greenwald would promoting Erik Prince's new smartphone. They forgot he had a Twitter account.

Originally published at: A PR firm claimed Glenn Greenwald would promoting Erik Prince's new smartphone. They forgot he had a Twitter account. | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The dude’s got standards. /s

18 Likes

I’d trust this device as much as I’d trust Truth Social.

20 Likes

Next Jan 6, stay safe, stay private, and use the only insurrectionist approved device!

11 Likes

But look at all the corporate journalists spreading this lie.

Really? I see the PR firm working for Sturmbannfuhrer Prince spreading the lie and responsible journalists reaching out for confirmation.

This is pretty rich coming from someone defending the lies of Alex Jones and other right-wing populists.

24 Likes

He should know by now that if a PR firm says it’s true, it must be true. /s

8 Likes

I suspect if someone at DEFCON got a hold of the phone, they would shred it for having shitty security and/or has back doors installed by the makers.

12 Likes

“being developed” itself being a euphemism for “does not currently exist”

29 Likes

“We’re still finalizing the product requirements.”

17 Likes

FIRST REQUIREMENT: send me $850

23 Likes

For a guy who pushes for honesty in the media, Greenwald is a liar.

Claim: PR firm pitches meeting with Greenwald.

Again, not schedules a meeting, not confirms a meeting, not advertises a meeting. Pitches a meeting.

EMail Glenn: I didn’t agree to this.

Twitter Glenn: This is a lie.

It isn’t a lie. The PR firm was attempting to get Glenn to talk about their phone there is no claim that Glenn agreed to it or that he has any opinion on the phone one way or another. But Glenn ends up having a fit oh Twitter because of a pitch"

What a dick!

13 Likes

Greenwald: “But look at all the corporate journalists spreading this lie.
This is what they do: once they see you as an ideological enemy”

Yeah, that’s right. Everyone else is “corporate”. And what are you? An unpaid Russian intern and InfoWars fanboi.

12 Likes

Yeah, I”d totally trust my secure private comms to Blackwater guy.

14 Likes

I was reading that this phone appears to be the same, except for the camera, as an earlier right wind “privacy” phone that sold for $500 and claimed to be Google free and not made in China. As far as anyone could tell it was a $120 Chinese phone sold as a $500 Liberty phone. So much about this new Unplugged phone looks like the Liberty phone and perhaps being sold by the same company under a new name.

12 Likes

I usually read “being developed” as “the product currently only exists in PowerPoint”

9 Likes

I mean, to be fair, Blackwater is really good at not complying with subpoenas or warrants or court orders or international law :grimacing:

12 Likes

True, but would you trust it to be actually secure? And that he wasn’t trying to make money on your data somehow?

6 Likes

Oh no fuckin way

10 Likes

Yah, right. If it ever sees the light of day, $100 says it’s a shitty fork of Android riddled with security flaws. That’s what every single “independent” phone is, because nobody can (or wants to) actually wrangle the vast array of engineering disciplines required to write a modern smartphone OS. It’s a huge job requiring hundreds of engineers. These companies are started by marketing wankers or political operatives who don’t know squat about engineering. They’re looking for a quick win to cash in on some demographic. When ordered to “just make something go”, the CTO forks some old version of Android and away they go. They end up being the clunkiest and least secure phones out there, as a result.

16 Likes

Interesting how he was polite to the journalist who wrote to him, but a dick to journalists over twitter. That’s the “Is he close enough to punch me in the face” effect.

4 Likes