A Proudly Regulation-Free America

Ahhh, brings me back to childhood.

The sickly sweet stench that blanketed my hometown far outlasted the closing of the tire plants. I hear the air is much nicer these days, but I wouldn’t know because I, like almost half the former population, left for good a long time ago. What good is air when there is no work?

6 Likes

Obligatory::

You mean salt water?

Yeah, the Dumbening worked; it was too effective, and it claims more victims everyday…

13 Likes

Great line at the end of that cartoon. We might all be wearing biohazard suits all too soon. Sad!

4 Likes

Not after Trump drives up the costs with import tariffs to pad his construction buddies’ pockets building his boondoggle. In the end his Wall might be more Iron Curtain to keep us in.

2 Likes

10 Likes

You brine poultry to oversaturate the meat to prevent dry lean meat. I’ve never heard someone claim it was for santitary reasons before, that’s interesting.

1 Like

So, when exactly will you guys start treating Republican lawmakers like the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation? It seems long overdue.

3 Likes

I haven’t been involved in a long while so I couldn’t tell you.

My reason for mentioning the LME is that it’s an example of a market that succeeds because of regulation. Standards exist for the analysis and purity of every metal. These have to be enforced. The rules of the market have to be obeyed. It works. Now take as the opposite the coffee market. The quality and treatment of beans varies enormously. Asymmetric information from people on the ground is crucial. The Internet is improving this by making things more transparent and we have the growth of fair trade and equal exchange. As the regulatory oversight of coffee improves, the product gets better and cheaper.

I have had to try, unsuccessfully, to explain things like this to CEOs. I once tried to explain European standards and how they affected our business to a CEO, shortly after which I left the company (I resigned). I tend to think I know exactly where Trump is coming from. In all its short sighted, next quarter, don’t bother me with detail, sociopathic glory.

4 Likes

of all stakeholders Exxon(!) is rather panicked about the possible backslash of canceling international agreements on climate change

5 Likes

People didn’t know toxic. They just didn’t. Cigarettes were digestive aids then. Kids ran behind the DDT truck to cool off in summer. No clues had.

Most of the truly hazardous chemicals did not exist prior to c1940, so it’s no shock that 20 years later when they were still nearly unregulated and in common use, so they were disposed of as any other wastes.

I’ve made a living off this, count this as my area of expertise.

5 Likes

Inorganic in salt means without carbon-carbon bonds. Not ‘with life in it’. Life is ‘organic’ in the chemistry sense because of the carbon bonds. Salt is inorganic, and the ‘flavorants’ are trace minerals. Not criticizing, just for clarity’s sake.

2 Likes

I had to double check, and yeah I had heard a common misconception. You need saltwater to partially dissolve some of the muscle proteins that shrink the worst during cooking that forces liquid into the pan and not staying in the meat drying it out. Apparently a lot of people use a partial salt-cure for the same effect but allowing more of the original, more flavorful juices to be retained in the meat.

Anyways, it’s still not about hygiene.

My contributions to this thread have been unhelpful so I’ve deleted them.

I’m sure that our food & drugs will be perfectly fine without all those pesky regulations requiring things like um, oversight and peer review.

5 Likes

To be fair, even on their own either of those chemicals can kill you.

edit: should have said “substances” rather than “chemicals”, but you know what I mean!

6 Likes

No worries. It’s not even a mistake you made, just a common linguistic overlap. No criticism intended!

1 Like

Brined chicken is both juicier and tastier, because it’s oversaturated.

It’s probably less sanitary, though. I know that the brine should never be used during cooking, and the chicken should be patted dry as well.

4 Likes

That sort of safety is still a bit overblown, even with the inflated chances because how we raise chicken the chances of catching something is still low compared to a lot of other basic cleanliness tasks. Still wouldn’t serve rare chicken to children, the sickly, and the elderly - but I tend to cook my boneless, skinless chicken breast to 155-160F.

2 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Yeah, Exon is miffed: “Hey, we finally adjusted our business model to fit the reality (you can now ignore our decades-long disinformation campaign)!” Though the irony that the oil companies are now to the “left” of the president on this issue…

7 Likes