A story on buying a house Detroit

You would’ve really enjoyed the last week here. Sub-zero with a coat of ice on the roads that lasted 5 days. The thing about sub-zero is that it’s hard to get there and stay there without a clear sky, so we had several days in a row with blinding (because a foot of snow) sunshine. Today, of course, is the normal grey, but it’s 40F. So, there’s that. :confused:

Yeah, that’s fair enough. I guess lame jokes you’ve heard thousands of times aren’t funny when you’re living the real thing. And probably weren’t funny to start with.

My wife’s a Michigander, though. And doesn’t want to ever go back.

The closest I’ve ever been to Detroit? Watching Grosse Point Blank?

I should watch Grosse Point Blank again. I’ll always remember the Doom arcade machine, which never actually existed. But should have.

1 Like

I prefer this scene.

I love the way Live and let Die turns into muzak. The soundtrack to this film is perfect (along with everything else about it). Especially 99 luftballons.

1 Like

Thanks for the admission. And yeah, it’s not at all funny having your neck of the woods shat upon by the planet with frequency. Imagine how those poor bastards in Somaila feel. /s

If your wife grew up in the hinterlands, I can completely understand.

yeah, y’all can go ahead and keep that. we totally do get sub-zero temps down here every winter (the polar vortex did get us into the single digits, reportedly) but they’re for like a day and it can fluctuate as high as the 60s even in the middle of winter. we’ll usually get at least a flurry or two of snow per season, but you might not know it if you aren’t outside when it happens. every 2 or 3 winters we’ll get snow that actually sticks and we’ll have an inch or so for a day or so. everyone flips out, the schools all close and all the bread, milk, and toilet paper vanish from the store. but the roads here are hilly not flat like MI, so it is more dangerous for driving here, and nobody gets any real practice driving in it to get a feel for it, so it does make sense but it’s really weird if you remember waiting for the school bus in snow up to your waist.

as for people having a preconceived notion about where you live: I said “y’all” to someone in SF once, you would’ve thought I removed my shoes, pulled out a jug of shine and started playing a banjo.

1 Like

I wouldn’t describe the lands in and around Ann Arbor as “flat,” though not as insanely hilly as SF. Still sucks to drive on ice every friggin’ day for over a week (ice again this morning).

We moved to Arlington, TX for two years when I was pretty young (7-9). They sent us home from school one day after a dusting of snow. It was very confusing as we had just moved there a few months prior from Minneapolis. A dusting shut the entire DFW area down. A dusting. I still think it’s pathetic.

I’m not gonna comment on the thoughts of people who break out full-length parkas when it’s 55F. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 1133 days. New replies are no longer allowed.