A supposedly progressive vegan food company called No Evil Foods was involved in some evil union busting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/24/a-supposedly-progressive-vegan.html

8 Likes

Progressive seems to encompass a wide range of politics in the US, from an-coms and Marxists to what would be considered conservative in Europe. Union-busting from right wing progressives should be expected.

16 Likes

The more these for-profit corporations tout their progressivism via marketing and advertising, the more suspicious I become of their internal business practises and cultures.

15 Likes

^^^… and the realities that surviving with a niche business against multinational conglomerates is hard, and Unions up overhead.

State funded healthcare would actually help alleviate a lot of the burden of small companies. Possibly translating in better wages. Or at least reduce overhead to make them more likely to succeed.

2 Likes

That’s no excuse to crack down. Unions can easily co-exist with smaller businesses. And they already had a nation-wide footprint.

10 Likes

Beyond the nutrition information and food ingredients, I sure wish we could see things like carbon footprint, miles traveled,and labor practices listed on (maybe a website) the label.

4 Likes

That’s called Triple Bottom Line accounting and it works! (link below)

In my consultation I have built my standard business model to incorporate living wages and benefits at FY1 with across the board wage increase for FY2-5 and additional paid roles for capacity increases as well as movement to management roles as the startup grows. Every single version of the model I have published shows profitability within 3-5 years with conservative revenue figures and generous COGS, yet not one client has adopted the model.

5 Likes

This anti-union argument boils down to: “Our holy mission is too important to be slowed down by workers’ rights.” As a vegan, I find this repulsive. Compare to the Ben & Jerry’s statement about why they’re boycotting Facebook ads: “The reality is, anything that’s right for the business, but wrong for our values, is wrong.”

6 Likes

Wow, I’d sure love to see these numbers for businesses like hedge funds and drug dealers!

2 Likes

“Progressive Vegan”

Shirley you jest?

If this surprises people, wait until they find out what actually happens at some very “lefty” “sustainable” agribusinesses.

Google WWOOFing and the related horror stories.

2 Likes

But, but, but…that’s Communism!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.