A true crime book for every US state

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/29/a-true-crime-book-for-every-us.html

2 Likes

Of course it’s Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for GA! Not that I’m complaining. It’s a wonderful book. It includes both the legendary GA lawyer Bobby Lee Cook (only briefly, with a glimpse of June, too) and the late, great Lady Chablis!

I don’t know if it’s available online (maybe behind a pay wall) but one year, back when Steve Thomas was still the host, This Old House did a season from Savannah, and of course they talked about the book. And they interviewed Chablis in an episode…

It’s this one, I believe:

7 Likes

Little Rhody does not - but probably should have the story of Doris Duke, the heiress to the Reynolds tobacco fortune, who killed a man: her chauffeur/lover, with whom she was having a spat. But the files all disappeared when she established a big historical restoration project in Newport.

1 Like

Is MA is represented by one of the various Whitey Bulger books? Jebus, we can’t get enough of that guy up here, everyone talks about what a monster he was but is so happy when another book or movie comes out.

1 Like

It’s a book about the Tsarnaevs.

3 Likes

AAA Tour Book for NJ is pretty damn scary

2 Likes

I’m not sure why, but I’m a bit sad that the Wisconsin book is on Dahmer and not Gein. Or maybe I should be sad that Wisconsin actually had two famous cannibalistic serial killers?

3 Likes

I don’t want to waste a look at the NYT because they block incognito viewing, but can I assume that Indiana is Belle Gunness and the one from Illinois is H.H. Holmes?

2 Likes

Sad, and more than a little worried.

6 Likes

I’d look for you, but I can’t.

4 Likes

I thought he died years ago. Any of his books would be a good choice for California, albeit fictional.

My reaction was the same. Maybe because people never told Dahmer jokes. (I kind of enjoyed the Ed Gein jokes when I lived there, until I discovered that he was still alive and only bicycling distance from me. Yikes!)

Pro tip on NYT viewing: refresh the page, but hit your browser’s “stop reload” button during the second between when you refresh and when block screen appears.

6 Likes

Thanks for that!

2 Likes

When I was living in Savannah the story was such a big part of the city’s folklore that locals simply referred to it as “The Book.”

5 Likes

Without looking, wouldn’t Illinois be John Wayne Gacy?

2 Likes

No, no, no…this was already on Digg. As I commented elsewhere, absolutely the iconic true crime book for California is “Helter Skelter”, about Charles Manson.

1 Like

The Taliesin Massacre, which wiped out Frank Lloyd Wright’s family, was too boring to have made the list

4 Likes

Yes, the Illinois book is Devil In The White City, Holmes all the way.

3 Likes

Indiana

Wendy Gamber, “The Notorious Mrs. Clem: Murder and Money in the Gilded Age

“By 1868 the formerly quiet town of Indianapolis was becoming ‘a city of strangers,’ and nearby Cold Spring was a more inviting place to settle — except for that blood-soaked patch of ground on the west bank of the White River where the bodies of Jacob and Janey Young were found on the morning of Sept. 13.”

1 Like

I think that’s still pretty true.

Yeah, Me neither. Almost everything is behind a paywall these days.

1 Like